Rubber Gasket For Wing Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got sick of the gasket falling out so glued in one the bladder side with silicon cement. It is easy to peal off and whip the cement off but adhesive enough to reliably hold for years.

The thermoplastic elastomer we use for the gaskets is essentially impossible to glue. RTV may help, but I still recommend not removing the hose for routine cleaning. The "displacement" fit our gasket in the available 12 sided relief is the best solution we have found. I'd also caution that glues and RTV, sometimes used (unnecessarily) on corrugated hose to elbow of power inflator joints, can peal off and end up inside the bladder and eventually foul the OPV or oral inflate oring seal on the power inflator.

Tobin

Tobin, re the flange seal (not the elbow seal) which arrangement do you recommend. I.e. with the seal on the inside of the bladder with the male part of the flange, or on the outside of the bladder between the bladder and nut? I ask this as I noticed my elbow had it one way and the OPV had it the other. (I have a Qxycheq wing.)

TIA

Tobin, re the flange seal (not the elbow seal) which arrangement do you recommend. I.e. with the seal on the inside of the bladder with the male part of the flange, or on the outside of the bladder between the bladder and nut? I ask this as I noticed my elbow had it one way and the OPV had it the other. (I have a Qxycheq wing.)

TIA

A properly assemble wing using non welded bladder fittings will have a T nut with flange inside the bladder a "double nut" or "outer nut" (the nut with both id and od threads on the outside of the wing shell. The sealing grommet, which has a ~1" Id and a ~2" od should have one flange inside the bladder between the flange of the T nut and the bladder, and the other flange on the outside of the shell. This is true for both the OPV and fill.

Tip: Get the sealing grommet fully in position and check for fold or wrinkles before you stick the T nut up through the grommet. Of course the T nut needs to already be inside the bladder.

To do this work you need BC wrenches, and some patience. :) Always check for leaks, folded sealing grommets are not all that uncommon.

Tobin

It's somehow comforting to hear that I'm not the only person who's lost a wing gasket. Thanks for the advice, folks.

Back
Top Bottom