Royal Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gator Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Now that the weather and work is letting
me dive this weekend, I was thinking of checking
out Royal Springs.

First can anyone tell me how to get there from
Gainesville and to anyone who has dove it recently,
any helpful advice.

Thanks.

From Gainesville, take 75 north to 441/27, and go west till you hit Branford, then turn right and go north on 249 to Obrien, and turn left onto 349. GO about 8 miles. I dont know the name of the road - i think its 248?, but theres a boat ramp sign where you turn left. GPS Coords are 30.0833°N, 83.0749°W. If you have a GPS, turn left when the GPS points due west.

Ive dove it quite a few times, and it should be back to normal clarity now, which is to say 30ft. It can be greater at some times. Its a shallow basin abotu 30ft deep with a platform in the middle, and goes into a overhead area down to 50ft and back 30ft, then into a small cave.

I have some more info here - http://northfloridadiver.net/sites/royal.htm

I don't how the conditions are there. If you have not been there before and its not clear then I would wait and go with someone that has been there more than one time.

Stay out of the cavern and especially the cave if not trainied. Actually I don't even know any cave divers that will dive that cave, and the last 2 people that I know of that went out there came out oin body bags.

I only know how to get there from the other direction. Sorry.

jviehe and Wendy.
Thanks for the information.
We will check it out and post on the experience.

jviehe:
Ive dove it quite a few times, and it should be back to normal clarity now, which is to say 30ft.

Wow, only 30', in the winter it is crystal clear with vis from one side of the basin from one side to the other and so clear that at night you can be at the bottom and see the stars in the sky.

One thing we forgot to say was the silt situation at Royal. Imagine putting the contents of a vaccuum cleaner in a fish bowl and stir it up and that's what it wil be like if you touch the bottom at all. The silt is very fine and is about 1 foot deep all over the bottom. And it doesn't clear back out quickly. Good place to tell if your bouyancy is bad or not or if your fin kicks are silting up the bottom.

Hmmmm.....If Royal silts up that easily
I may have to wait to go another day....
My dive buddy for the weekend is a newer
newbie than myself and is still working on buoyancy
(not to say I have mine perfected)......

We may have to try another cheap dive around Gainesville

ended up checking out Manatee Springs
and bagged on Royal. Probably a good thing
since my dive buddy was a little out of practice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom