Royal resorts Cancun , and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JBRES1

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anybody ever stay at any of the Royal Resorts in Cancun ?
Have heard they are very nice , but want to see for myself.
I have a trip planned to go there for spring break 2007 with my family.
My newly certified buddy aka daughter and I want to do some diving while there.
We are going to be at the Royal Caribbean resort and wanted to know of a good dive company that we could use for this trip. We are going to be bringing our own gear, so what I really need is a good divemaster to take good care of us.

I want to do a few dives in Cancun, a few in Cozumel and even a cavern dive if she is up for it. Not too sure about the cavern dive, she still needs to work on buoyancy. Its starting to get cold up here in Chicago, so I don't think we will have much time to work on it this fall.
Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance
Jim breslin

My ex-wife's parents have intervals at the Royal Resorts, so we used to go there every year. They are pretty nice and one of the few places you can go in Cancun at spring break and not be awash in drunken, puking, college kids. They are very family-oriented and they do not permit or tolerate spring-breakers.

The dive op I used to use in Cancun is closed now, but I have heard from others on the board that Manta Divers and Scuba Cancun are good. There are plenty of dive ops and tour operators in Cancun who will be happy to sell you dive trips to Cozumel and the cenotes, but you may be better off to book directly with a Cozumel dive shop and a dive shop in Playa del Carmen, Akumal, or Tulum. The people in Cancun are basically serving as middlemen.

I have had good experiences in Cozumel with Dive House. It is a resort-centered operation (they have a location in the square downtown and at the Fiesta Americana). They run larger boats than many operations, but generally keep the number of divers down. There will probably be more than six people on the boat, but probably not more than ten or twelve. Their boats are well-maintained and they run a very safe operation. Others on the board recommend Blue XTSea (the owner, Christi, is a regular poster) and a number of other shops. Search the Cozumel forum for recommendations.

For the cenotes, I can recommend Yucatek in Playa del Carmen. If you are an open water diver (not cave-certified), you will be diving in singles. When they say the gear includes two tanks, they mean two dives using a single tank. The guides, who are cave instructors, use full cave gear, including doubles.

Thanks Don,
I will look into the dive companies in Coz.

As for the spring break drunks , its good to know they keep it out of the Royals.

Side note, My 14 yr old daughter and 12 yr old son have plans of sitting at the swim up pool bar and having smothies and chips all day long. My 17 yr old daughter has plans to dive , and sit under a tree and read books.
Thanks, Jim Breslin

I've been staying at the Royals for the past 25 years. (There are four of them - five if you count Club International which is still in the Royal family although it doesn't have the "Royal" moniker) My parents own four weeks at various Royal locations. While the Royal family of resorts are not the best resorts on the island, they are some of the most comfortable. Personally my favorite is the Royal Mayan, but that's probably because it's the one I've stayed the most at (I practically grew up there - yes I was spoiled,.. get over it)

Some things you should know:

- One thing at the Royals is that they must have an agreement with Aqua World, the largest dive operation in Cancun. While I don't have a problem with the operation (they are the one's who initially certified me), I have heard plenty of negative reviews of their operation. As always, any diver is responsible for your own equipment whether it's your own or rented. Test it out thoroughly before hand. Of course you don't have to dive with them, but they do have a presence at the resorts.

- Just like any timeshare resort, you will be approached by someone to attend a presentation. At the Royals, this will be your personal concierge. These guys are usually great. They will do anything for you like plan and book your trips, make reservations for you, etc., but don't forget how they make their money. If you’re not interested, just be firm yet courteous. They'll understand.

- In case you haven't been to Cancun before, almost always take the buses to get around instead of a taxi. Buses are something like .50 cents each way and are way cheaper than a taxi. They're not super clean, but neither are most taxis. And you'll inevitably sit/stand next to a sweaty local,.. but hey, when in Rome....(besides,.. it's worth it) One other thing to note is that the Royal Resorts have a free shuttle that goes to each of the Resorts (and their restaurants) on a regular basis. Take advantage of it.

- Dives: Two main dive areas are off the northern point of Cancun and Cozumel. Frankly they are both good, but if you haven’t dove Cozumel, it's worth making a day trip out of it. It will take a full day, but there are some good wall dives over there. The Cenote dive is also a great experience. Definitely a must. I've used Aqua World and have been plenty happy.

- Alternative excursions: While the ruins are something to see, If you have seen them once, you don't need to do it again. The newest thing that I did last month is the zip-line adventure. What a blast! 11 zip-lines through the jungle, a mile mountain bike ride to a cenote, and an hour of zip lining into the cenote. Good times.

- Restraunts: Ok this might sound biased, but I really think you can get almost everything you need at the Royal Resorts. Captains Cove is right below the Royal Mayan/Caribbean and has great all-around food (mostly seafood though). Go there at night and see the alligator/crocodile that comes up to the outside seating area. They are owned by the Royal resorts so you can pay with your room key. El Conquistador in the Royal Mayan is a very nice evening dining experience as well. It is more of a fine dining establishment. Last but not least, Hacienda Sisal is over at the Royal Sands. If you time it right, you can take the free Royal shuttle over there and back. The nice thing about Sisal is that they have a pretty good evening show every night (I think) full of dances of the world. Once again, since it's under the Royal umbrella, you can pay with your room key.

Anyways,.. I've written a small novel here, but as you can tell, I love the Royal Resorts. They have always treated me well and the construction is solid (Each of the Royal resorts have withstood ALL of the major hurricanes with very minimal damage. All other resorts have taken pretty severe beatings.)

If you have any questions,.. feel free to ask or PM me.

- Rob

* one last side note... Although the Royals are family friendly, they generally aren't overrun with kids. Of course I haven't been there for spring break. Either way they will treat you well and I'm sure you'll have a good time. Have Fun!

Rob,
Were you a travel agent in your past life ?
Thanks much for the information on the Royals.
Jim Breslin

Jim:

Sounds like a good plan. Rob had some good points too. I have no personal experience with Aqua World, but have friends who've been out with them. Let's just say they would not be my first choice. The resorts do have an arrangement with Aqua World, which has the concession to do try scuba sessions and resort courses at just about all of the resorts in Cancun. There are good restaurants around Cancun, try La Habichuela, which is downtown. It's the kind of slightly upscale place you and the kids will all like. Try to get a table in the garden in back. Whatever you do, you'll have a great time. I think you've got the right place for a family trip to Cancun.

My mom and step-dad have had shares there since 77. I've been down two out of the last three seasons. Eclipse is correct. I stay at the Club Internationale and the dive shops pay big money to have access to the touristos. I like the smaller shops that I've dove with, more than the bigger ops with cattle boats.

I would recommend Mad Aqua Divers at KM5.5. It's a new shop with great people and two fast boats. They run generally ten divers, twelve at the max. Ben (the owner) is a Brit and a great instructor. Their focus is on customer satisfaction and I believe you will be happy diving with them.

However, he doesn't have the website up yet. Only other shop I've dove with in Cancun was Scuba Cancun and Ben was the instructor there up until a couple of months ago. It took me a while to track him down, because I wanted my son to receive his instruction from him.

You can contact him at benrmooney@yahoo.co.uk.

BTW, I would be very selective about anything you do through the Royals. They charge out the wazoo for trips and excursions. The Captains Cove was destroyed last year during Wilma and was not rebuilt. The food is excellent at any of the Royals. For anything outside of the resort, check with Ben or you can also check out http://www.britsincancun.com for information on places to go. Al Mason runs the site and caters mostly to British military, however, I had a good time with him when I was down there in August. He too, will treat you right!

Jack

Hi Don,

Have you ever been to the La Placita's downtown? You need to try it the next trip. They have the best goose pate served with freshly made bread that I've ever had. It is not frequented by Americans and has some great food. Also, if you've never had the Mayan coffee ritual, they do an excellent job with that. Although it's too sweet for me....

Jack

divingjd:
Jim:

Sounds like a good plan. Rob had some good points too. I have no personal experience with Aqua World, but have friends who've been out with them. Let's just say they would not be my first choice. The resorts do have an arrangement with Aqua World, which has the concession to do try scuba sessions and resort courses at just about all of the resorts in Cancun. There are good restaurants around Cancun, try La Habichuela, which is downtown. It's the kind of slightly upscale place you and the kids will all like. Try to get a table in the garden in back. Whatever you do, you'll have a great time. I think you've got the right place for a family trip to Cancun.

Spratman, You're right about Captains Cove. I don't know that it was destroyed by Hurricane Wilma but it took a beating. When I was down in September they were working on it and I believe it's supposed to be completed by the end of the year. I have dove once with Scuba Cancun, but wasn't all that impressed. It's not that they didn't do a good job. It's just that their operation seemed small and 'rickety'. May just be my impression though.

Back
Top Bottom