Routing the Octo Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sbloomer

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi

I'm just wondering how people manage their Octo hoses... I currently have the end of the hose clipped to my BC just under the right arm, but it always seems to get in the way. I was thinking of some efficient manner to coil the hose somewhere next to the tank, and making sure it can be pulled free if necessary.

Thanks

I keep it attached to my BCD just above the left hip.
It's always there when I need it, doesn't drag and my 2 most frequent buddies do the same. So we always know where to find it.

I keep mine bungied around my neck.

sbloomer:
Hi

I'm just wondering how people manage their Octo hoses... I currently have the end of the hose clipped to my BC just under the right arm, but it always seems to get in the way. I was thinking of some efficient manner to coil the hose somewhere next to the tank, and making sure it can be pulled free if necessary.

Thanks
Hi,

I used to route the hose under my right arm and put the mouthpiece of the regulator in a bulb type retaining device that was clipped to a d-ring located mid chest on my right shoulder strap. I never really had a problem with it there, the key was to get a bulb that would actually hold the regulator in place. I found myself checking it several times during a dive. It would usually stay in place but on perhaps one dive in ten it would fall out or get knocked loose. Not really that big a deal.

Remember, however you route the hose and secure the regulator, it needs to be able to be quickly deployed. If you are diving with a buddy and he runs out of air he will need air quickly, most likely he will grab the regulator out of your mouth and you will need to find your alternate and start breathing on it fast. Don't make the alternate so difficult to get that you create a new problem.

I have since switched to the long hose for my primary, and the short hose with the reg secured by an elastic necklace around my neck. I have also switched many other aspects of my rig to what is generally referred to as "Hogarthian" style rigging. One of the key features that you can apply to any BC is the long hose, short hose with a necklace.

If you are interested in investigating how this configuration works you can search on this board and elsewhere on the internet, there are many good places that describe how this setup works.

I hope this is of some help, and not just noise further confusing you.

Mark Vlahos

I attach mine, with a holder, to the lowest ring on my BC on the right side. I have a ladyhawk and it works fine. It is easy to grab if needed and yet stays out of my way during an uneventful dive. Everyone in our group does the same and no one has complained. (They all use Scubapro Superglide BCs).

I purchased a genisis Sidekick which connects directly to your bcd inflator hose. This eliminates the octo hose completly from your first stage.

Works great for me.

I think that the best thing to do is experiment with different placements to see what you like best. I used to have mine tucked inthe bungee on my wing but found that it is a little hard to reach so i think i am going to go with the neck thing...

I have the Genesis Sidekick octo conected to my LP inflator to , is ok , but I thinking in change the hose of the primary for a long one the actual is 31' I'm thinking in a 40'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom