Round window/Oval window middle ear problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eth727

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone experienced a oval or round window ear problem? I went to see my Dr. after several dives. I came back and my left side felt like it was plugged. He looked at it and said it looked fine. I was prescribed methlpredlisolone pills and after 6 days it still feels the same. I don't feel pain or have any blood, no ringing or vertigo issues. I can clear fine but after a few seconds it comes back.

You might want to PM a Moderator and ask that this thread be moved to the Dive Medicine forum, where some fairly knowledgeable people regularly hang out, and would be more likely to see it.

I am an expert in Ear, Nose, and Throat and specialize in NeuroRadiology. If you start to feel pain you should go back to doctor and likely middle or inner ear infection.

Advice for diving: flush your ears with a 50/50 mixture of alcohol and hydrogen peroxide. I have been doing this for 40 years as I had recurent ear problems as child wioth 4 operations. it not only protects but dries out the water from ear and removes that "plugged" feeling".

good luck

eth727, if you can equalize and your hearing is normal for a little while, then it is highly unlikely that you have any inner ear damage (oval or round window).

The typical ear injury from barotrauma is an accumulation of fluid in the middle ear, that can cause crackling or bubbling sounds or simply muffled hearing. In addition, edema of the Eustachian tube can cause obstruction, and then, as the gas in the middle ear gets absorbed, you get a feeling of fullness and decreased hearing as well -- but this one will remit when you equalize, only to recur with the passage of time.

It can take some time -- as much as a couple of weeks, if the original injury was moderately severe -- for the fluid in the middle ear to resolve. There is anecdotal evidence that decongestants and antiinflammatories may somewhat hasten the process of resolution.

You might enjoy watching THIS (long) video about the diver's ear, or reading THIS good article from DAN. I also have a small essay on ear injuries in divers on the Dive Matrix board.

I hope this resolves quickly for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom