Root canal question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spray25

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got the first stage of a root canal done today. The nerve was removed and a temporary filling was put in place. I asked the Dentist if I could dive this weekend and he didn't think that there would be a problem. I find this somewhat hard to beleive. Isn't there a small air pocket there until he fills it in on my next appointment?

Any feedback or opininions would be much appreciated.

Thanks Bill.

I had another conversation with my dentist and he assured me I would be fine. I did going diving and no problems with the tooth. I did have a nasty case of vertigo, but that's a whole nother story.....

Spray25

Conventional wisdom would dictate that there be absolutely no air space within the tooth during diving or even flying. A barodontalgia, while very rare, can happen. Even the air space left at the end of an incomplete root canal filling can cause a problem--sometimes years later. You shouldn't dive until the root canal is completed AND either a temporary filling is placed WITHOUT a cotton ball inside the tooth or the tooth has been permanently restored.

Check the Scubadoc site previously listed it has my long winded answer.

Be patient and enjoy diving,

Laurence Stein DDS
:doctor:

Disclaimer
(No representations are made that in any way offer a diagnosis, treatment or cure for any illness or condition, either discussed or implied. Answers to questions are offered as information only and should always be used in conjunction with advice from your personal diving physician/dentist. I take no responsibility for any conceivable consequence, which might be related to any visit to this site.)

Back
Top Bottom