Rookie looking for help on Snorkeling Equip for honeymoon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SnorkDork

New
Reaction score
I really hope there's no problems with me posting a question about snorkeling... I don't know much but I do know that scuba and snorkel are different.

Anyhow, I am going to Cabo San Lucas in July for my honeymoon. Besides catching a marlin, I'm hoping to spend some time snorkeling. I was wondering if anyone could give some ideas on what I absolutely need to enjoy snorkeling. From casual observation this are my questions so far:

Snorkel: Ocean Master Dry? or another purge type snorkel
Mask: ???? Purge or no purge?
Fins: Jet fins? How important are fins? What are some economical options?

I'm hoping this won't be a one time hobby so I don't mind spending a little $ but I also don't see myself needing the top of the line. A package deal would be nice. I really just want to spend enough money so that we don't get in the water and immediately give up because the mask is fogged/leaking and the flippers are giving us major cramps/pains.

Anyhow, I can't wait to hear your thoughts and/or recommendations.

Brian :confused:
webbrian@yahoo.com

Hmmmm Honeymoon. Are you sure that you are going to need Snorkeling gear? :D

Joking aside, the first question will be if you want to dive at some point as well. If so then prepare to spend a bit more on gear.

If you'll allow;

1) Snorkel - in reality it is just a tube. Get one that has a wide bore, and isn't too long. That will make breathing easier. IMHO, I think that "dry" snorkels are just semi-dry at best. I'd suggest a semi dry with a purge valve - because I'm lazy.

2) Mask - three things - dry comfortable fit, dry comfortable fit, and dry comfortable fit. A purge valve is personal preference. I like having one because I have a moustache and there is always a bit of a leak.

3) Fins - Basic paddle fins do the best. Most snorkel packages (from my experience) have full foot fins which are fine - but I like boots and open heeled because I dive in cold water and I like the protection of boots while I'm walking.

I'd suggest going to a good dive shop (not Wal-Mart) and seeing if they could do a couple of custom packages for the both of you. Try on a whole buch of masks. See what fits the best for you. If you can, borrow them and try them in the bathtub or a pool. A good sales rep can ensure that they fit properly for you. I really suggest that you focus on the mask, it is the most important piece of gear that you'll be using. Get a set of basic paddle fins and choose open heel or full foot based on the style of diving/snorkeling you wish to do.

Good luck, Congrats on the Marriage, and have a great honeymoon.

Oh and don't forget to buy a bottle of mask defog :wink:

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, we probably will spend some time in the Hotel :)

Are there any drawback to open heeled fins in warmer water? I notice alot of people buying after market straps... Do these fins usually come off your feet while swimming?

Still don't know if we will ever become divers. My baby is a little spooked about it and I'm doing good to even get her offshore for some fishing!

Are there some particular brand names (in the reasonable price range) that I should look for?

Thanks,
Brian
webbrian@yahoo.com

Personally, I like the open heeled design, but you do have to wear neoprene boots with them. The straps break on occassion, just like mask straps - so having a spare strap is a good idea. They do better if you don't over tighten them. I've never had a fin come off (unless you count the time that my buddy pulled it off while trying to get my attention :D) You don't see many full foot up here in Canada! Full foot is much more common in the Warm Water Areas. For snorkeling - fit is the most important. If it doesn't fit, you'll tire faster and might get cramps. Either one will be fine. If you are looking at scrambling over rocks, walking through areas of prickly things, or being in cold water - the booties have some advantages. But the boots are another cost item that you probably don't need if you are walking out of the hotel, to the beach and into the water.

At a good dive shop, all of the masks should have tempered glass and silicon skirts - which are the important things. I hesitate to throw out brand names because all of the mainstream dive manufacturers have decent masks - but they do not all fit the same. Worry about fit and cost - not manufacturer. For snorkeling - you don't need the highest quality either.

Hope that this helps.

Snork, get a single pane or double pane mask with a black skirt. Scubapro, Cressi, Ocean Reef and Apollo make excellent snorkel masks. The Cressi "Free Frog" with full foot is a very good fin. Look at a picture and hold it in your head when you shop. I don't know anything about modern, dry snorkels. If you already can use a snorkel without choking, get a simpler, cheaper model. Make sure it comes with a ring or clip for your mask strap.

Get some local advice before snorkeling near the cape(cabo). The currents rip.

1st congrats on the need for a honeymoon:1st:
I snorkeled a lot before I became a diver. People have given you great advice about mask fit...but if you are looking to save $$$

I have bad knees, so until I discovered my current fins, I used to kick off the rental fins on the beach and snorkel barefoot. Really wonderful snorkeling areas like Borneo, where the water is shallow and the visibility terrific, meant I just wanted to paddle SLOWLY so I could see all the cool critters. Fins moved me too fast.

Now I dive, but the last day before getting on an airplane, I still snorkel...and I still prefer to do that WITHOUT fins. I love my fins, but for snorkeling they stay on the beach. Fins work way better underwater than they do on the surface. So, if you are looking to save some $$$ you might want to try just the mask and snorkel. Works for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom