Ronald McDonald's new image

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks

Snr LayZboy Meteorologist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Interesting article about the change of Ronald McDonald's image. They are really trying to change their image if not their menu too substantially - you can still supersize it if you want to :wink:

Is this akin to Phillip Morris and other tabacco companies giving out quitting and health info, but still pushing their products? I dont know the entire legal history in the US about this, but i assume between lawsuits and maybe court orders they felt obliged to do so as part of their prevention of further lawsuits and bargaining out of existing lawsuits. Is McD's doing something preventative or have these obesity lawsuits got them edgy?

I think its ridiculous that anyone could ever sue a restuarant for obesity...Everyone has a measure of self-control and should be able to exercise it freely. If you have a hard time squeezing in and out of your sub-compact maybe you should consider laying off the Big Mac's for a little bit, not running out and hiring a lawyer.

Fast food isn't supposed to be a substitute for nutritional meals...And I have never been under the impression that fast food is 'healthy'...have you? It's not like they, as an industry, have pulled the wool over the public's eyes.

More Politcally Correct junk...

1RUSTYRIG:
...And I have never been under the impression that fast food is 'healthy'...have you?...

I agree and it's how I feel about suing the cigarette manufacturers. Our government substidized tobacco and since WELL before I was born everyone knew smoking was bad for you. Why should they be sued because of your choice.

I think it's spin control, but I think McDonald's has done a very good job of offering healthier alternatives on their menu. It's easy to walk into McD's and have a decent healthy meal any time of the day. It would be dumb of them to alienate their core customers by getting rid of Super Sizes and Double Quarter Pounders, though.

I give them a lot of credit.

This is one of those things that makes me nuts. You go in to McDs, pay money for food, and then even think about sueing 'cause you're fat, you're not only fat, you're stupid and have no self control, and I don't feel one iota sorry for you. I am a frequint Big Mac consumer, I'm 6'3", and weigh 200lbs.

Know why?

Because I work out every day, for the express purpose of enjoying my fast food.

Get off your lazy tush, or don't go to McDonalds.

(Sorry, I have a MAJOR PROBLEM WITH PEOPLE NOT TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR ACTIONS!)

I don't think it's got anything to do with lawsuits ... did any of y'all see the movie "Supersize Me"? It made quite a splash a few months back, and right after the movie, McDonalds started introducing "healthier alternatives" like salads.

I think the company is simply capitalizing on an image it thinks many in it's target demographic will find more appealing (even if the food they're peddling hasn't really changed all that much).

It's all about marketing ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

jstuart1:
I agree and it's how I feel about suing the cigarette manufacturers. Our government substidized tobacco and since WELL before I was born everyone knew smoking was bad for you. Why should they be sued because of your choice.

Ah, well now ... tobacco companies are a different matter altogether.

It was well documented that Joe Camel was never meant to appeal to adults ... the target audience there was kids as young as 10, an audience that was always meant to be off-limits to the tobacco companies. The execs knew it, and talked about it in several documents that were presented as evidence during those trials.

You can't talk about "choice" when it comes to marketing to kids ... they're too easy to influence. And as a society, we limit their "choices" in many matters. Not least of which is their ability to legally buy cigarettes.

So why were the cigarette companies targeting them? Because every tobacco CEO knows that once you hook a kid on nicotine, percentages are very high that you've got a "customer" for life. Addictions are like that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

From David Letterman's monologue on Thursday night's Late Night With David Letterman:

Ronald McDonald actually looks like he's lost weight, which means one thing: he's not eating at McDonald's...

NWGratefulDiver:
I don't think it's got anything to do with lawsuits ... did any of y'all see the movie "Supersize Me"?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Basing your food consumption on a movie like "supersize me" is like basing your hobbies off of movies like "open water".

Back
Top Bottom