Rocky Mountain "Hi"...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amen to that on the places to boat. You need a shoe horn to get into some of these reservoirs.
As fas as local diving. Man, you are missing some awesome stuff here if you just go to the hole. Jefferson Reservoir outside of Jefferson CO (hi altitude) and Twin lakes (Leadville) are great dives. Jefferson has 30' vis to about 60' and 15'+ at 97'. It's said to be in the 200' deep range.
I'll be happy to lead a dive to Jefferson Res.
If you want to dive mud puddles, then the Denver area has the bad ones. Carter Lake has pretty good vis, 15' on a good day.
asta
Greg
PS, I'll be at the hole this month (Nov 26-28th). If you happen to be DMing down there, poke your head in. I drive the big charcole grey Dodge 4x4 with the big cannopy set up behind it. If it's cold, I'll have a 200000 BTU heater going. Sometimes the coffee pot is going.
I like to do nite dives on Fridays when I go down,

Dr. Frankenmule:
Amen to that on the places to boat. You need a shoe horn to get into some of these reservoirs.
As fas as local diving. Man, you are missing some awesome stuff here if you just go to the hole. Jefferson Reservoir outside of Jefferson CO (hi altitude) and Twin lakes (Leadville) are great dives. Jefferson has 30' vis to about 60' and 15'+ at 97'. It's said to be in the 200' deep range.
I'll be happy to lead a dive to Jefferson Res.
If you want to dive mud puddles, then the Denver area has the bad ones. Carter Lake has pretty good vis, 15' on a good day.
asta
Greg
PS, I'll be at the hole this month (Nov 26-28th). If you happen to be DMing down there, poke your head in. I drive the big charcole grey Dodge 4x4 with the big cannopy set up behind it. If it's cold, I'll have a 200000 BTU heater going. Sometimes the coffee pot is going.
I like to do nite dives on Fridays when I go down,

Hey Ron & Doc,
Looks like we have some Altitude diving to do this summer, eh? I've been wanting to do Jefferson for a while. Caught many trout there in years past. To answer one of your questions, I am going to Homestead Crater in Utah with my dive shop, "Underwater Phantaseas" in Lakewood. Awesome Guys, they are! As far as Carter diving goes, well.... maybe if you're after Crawdads. Which brings me to another point. One of my best dive buddies and I have been thinking about going up there next summer and catching a bunch of "bugs", then coming back to my place and having a huge crawfish boil. You guys interested?
Glad to hear from a couple other Colorado folks.

I might be up for that, although I would have to supply my wife with plenty of shrimp. She's not much up on local bugs.
I grabbed a bunch for my parents once and they said they were good. I was told by someone in the know that Carter actually has some of the cleanest water in the US (purity).
I'm not heading to the hole this weekend, it got called off. I'm having a serious diving jones though. I'd be up for a trip to any place right now. I'm doing some refreshers on Wed night, so I'll be able to get a bit of a fix. I'm almost ready to haul a tank into my office and breathe off it for a while......
Do you do any dry diving? We're going to try and do some Ice diving this winter, if you are interested, let me know.
Greg
PS, so which one are you on the Phantaseas page?

Aloha and welcome to the scubaboard. I've heard that statistic about most certified divers per capita in Colorado. When I lived there, I think it would also apply that they have the most certified dive instructors per capita too. I couldn't find work anywhere!

I have also heard that Florida has the largest ski club in the United States. Go figure...

Anyway, enjoy the scubaboard and feel free to look me up if you ever make it to Maui.

Dr. Frankenmule:
I might be up for that, although I would have to supply my wife with plenty of shrimp. She's not much up on local bugs.
I grabbed a bunch for my parents once and they said they were good. I was told by someone in the know that Carter actually has some of the cleanest water in the US (purity).
I'm not heading to the hole this weekend, it got called off. I'm having a serious diving jones though. I'd be up for a trip to any place right now. I'm doing some refreshers on Wed night, so I'll be able to get a bit of a fix. I'm almost ready to haul a tank into my office and breathe off it for a while......
Do you do any dry diving? We're going to try and do some Ice diving this winter, if you are interested, let me know.
Greg
PS, so which one are you on the Phantaseas page?

Thanks for the invite on the ice diving, I've got no experience there. Perhaps some would be of benefit. Maybe not much fun, but of benefit, Ha! Also, there are two shops here with the same name. I am not employed by either, but did my Divemaster training at the one in Lakewood. I start the IDC in April, so we'll see what happens after that. I don't intend to teach except maybe part time, as I have a "regular" job, but my schedule allows me to work three weeks, then take two weeks off. Very accomodating to the diving lifestyle. Also, I think a "bug grab" would be a blast and we could sure accomodate other tastes with shrimp, etc.

Shaka Doug:
Aloha and welcome to the scubaboard. I've heard that statistic about most certified divers per capita in Colorado. When I lived there, I think it would also apply that they have the most certified dive instructors per capita too. I couldn't find work anywhere!

I have also heard that Florida has the largest ski club in the United States. Go figure...

Anyway, enjoy the scubaboard and feel free to look me up if you ever make it to Maui.

Doug, and all this time, I thought all those crazies on our slopes were form Texas! I don't snow ski anymore due to the traffic & nuts trying to run over me. I guess it's fair, we bring Colorado $$$ to FL and they bring theirs here. I'll let you know if I make it to Maui in the near future. Cheers!

Hey Jaybird!

Welcome to SB from a "Restless Native". Born and raised in Denver, now living in MO - yep, got Californicated.

I used to use that dive shop in Aurora, at the corner of Havana and Mississippi - but I think they're long gone. (Scuba Den?).

In any case, I'll have to keep tabe on you guys if I ever come home and get the chance to dive. I have 0 logged dives in my home state!

Hi Jaybird - I did my my OW and AOW with Underwater Phantaseas at the Lakewood store. I used to live in Littleton and later Lakewood. I still stop in and chat when I'm in town. Next time you are in, say Hi to Storm, Bill, and Derek from Chris in Grand Junction. I did open waters at Aurora Reservoir, which didn't have bad vis unless you weren't the first there. It gets stirred up around the plane pretty easily.

I was a Ranger at Chatfield for 11 years in the late 70's and 80's. I can vouch for how crowded that lake gets, especially on weekends. There are too many boats in the Denver area, and not enough water. I dove in the concrete spilling basin below the Chatfield dam once which was interesting, but it took special permission to do it. It wasn't deeper than 15 feet anywhere. I haven't done any other diving in Colorado. I have a 3mm shortie and like to dive in places suited to it.

Good luck on your instructors certification. I may run into you at the store sometime.

Glad to have you on board. You have just increased the membership by one more then the last person to join.

This is the site to be a part of if your a diver.

Feel free to asked question, give advised or jon in on a thread.

Dive Safely

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom