Rockfish and halibut spearfish question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

poomero

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Would a JBL mini gun work for those fish? It is 22.25 inches in length withouth the shaft and 30 inches with the shaft.

If you can get within range then yes it should work. You'll want to be very select in your shot placement for the halibut, otherwise you'll either be taken for a ride or see your gun being dragged off. Any spinal shot will immobilize the fish from the shot down, allowing you to finish it off with ikejime or gill pull.

Your tip selection can be equally important depending on your environment. A broad 2-wing spear head won't sink into the sand as readily as a thin breakaway tip. This can mean shooting a halibut, not having it penetrate far enough to stick, and losing a wounded fish. On the flip side of this, a thinner spear head means more emphasis on shot placement if you need a kill shot. It's also a lot easier to completely blunt a thin spear point if you over power your shot into a rock.

You'll fine more indepth answers on spearboard, but this is what I know. I'm pretty novice at spearfishing.

The above post is a great one. I have been spearfishing for a few years with that gun. I have taken some pretty big lingcod with it inside of rock crevices. Forget shooting fish out in the open, you will just get frustrated seeing them laugh at you :bonk:If you choose to go for halibut, you will probably be using SCUBA. This is a very nice gun to have with scuba gear because it is small

Back
Top Bottom