Rockaway Beach - Another 9th Street Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottNY

Contributor
Reaction score
Dove today, (Fri. 8/18), at 9th street just west of Atlantic Beach Bridge in Rockaway, NY area.

A couple of weeks ago, I stopped by and tried out this site. Though last time buddy and I went in at wrong spot, so we decided to try it again. So we hooked up with 3rd diver and headed on out.

Here's a web site with info about the dive site...
http://www.njscuba.net/sites/list_l....html#Beach 8

Visibility was about 6. That's inches, not feet. Went with 2 buddies hoping that our target location in the inlet would be a bit better. We used the dive flag line kind of like a wreck reel line to stay together and made out way down a cable, then rope to some diver training platform-like things they have there. We did see a bunch of starfish on the bottom, but really couldn't see anything here today. Probably still churned up from storm. There was a potato chip bag/wrapper. That was nice. But we were really hoping for a few more fish. Or maybe just one fish. In fairness, I've heard from several people that when conditions are better, there really are some fish here and these platform/cage things are an ok viewing spot.

I did get a chance to practice with the compass and make sure I knew how to keep mask on and regulator in while occasionally being kicked in the face with others' fins. (I think this should be added as an AOW skill.)

Supposedly, when it's nicer here, there are tropical fish to see. And last time there were one or two. Probably last week's storms just still had everything all churned up. Not sure if I'll go back to that particular spot again. Though maybe if I do, next time we can see some lightly radioactive medical waste, which could help with lighting conditions. With our new skills, next week we're thinking of seeing if a nearby town will let us dive their septic system.

The place is close enough for me to get to, but I think it's time to drive the extra hour or two to get to Ducth or a boat!!!

Scott

That was waaaaayyyyy funny! I especially like the lighting by medical waste quip. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom