Rock Lake Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VikingDives

Mostly Harmless
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
TL;DR: Rock Lake is open again, but they may close again because no one is showing up.

I dove Rock Lake this weekend. Ms. Ladyhawk told me that while she sold the property, her daughter is still managing the property for divers (there's no real change in procedure from before).

She said she had convinced the new owner to allow divers back (it had been closed after the sale), but not many people have been coming, so they are thinking about closing it again, due to disinterest.

Also, the daughter lives four hours away now, so if everyone would try to make it easier on her, it would be helpful.

I'd hate to lose such a nice site again, so get out there people!

I always found it strange that you had to know someone and have the secret handshake to get in. Not being a local and having access to other bodies of water I have not been looking to learn the secret handshake to get in. I only know of one person who has dove it, and he didn't have the secret handshake, but know someone else who did and that got him in, once.

From what I have heard it sounds like a cool place I would like to dive. Not close, would have to roll it into a bigger road trip.

The land manager is paranoid of lawsuits and only allows diving under the purview of a technical instructor. They do not require an actual class being taught however. Until recently they were only allowing diving on the first weekend each month witch was rather limiting for our group. Generally we are there about once per month.

The land manager is paranoid of lawsuits and only allows diving under the purview of a technical instructor.

There's no requirement for a technical instructor. I'm not sure that there's even a requirement for an instructor, but that may be, but I've been there several times with recreational instructors only and helped with a deep diving course with an MSDT and two advanced students.

I can't disagree with the rest of your assertions though. It certainly isn't easy or convenient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom