Rock Bottom psi..thanks for knowledge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He was still more interested in spearing fish than checking his gas supply. I reminded him a couple times.

This is a good illustration of task focus.

I've seen decent divers suffer simular problems when equipped with spearguns, cameras, compasses and other pieces of new kit.

Until divers reach a level of experience where their awareness of time /depth / air/ buddy becomes an automatic and sub-consious function... then you must expect that task loading with new equipment or a dive mission can over-ride their basic safety in the water.

When I teach underwater photography and navigation, I spend a disproportionate amount of time stressing the need to maintain time /depth /air /buddy awareness.... and then I practice exactly this on the training dives.

I also ensure that briefings and buddy checks include a realistic assessment of this...so that the distribution of dive tasks (air checking) is understood, and so that the divers concerned will realise the potential loss of awareness in their buddy and plan accordingly.

A lot of posts like this one on this site....

Don't forget people, there are always two sides to a story.

I have had simular happenings as a divemaster, the more they get involved with fishing or bug catching the less they look at their remaining air. I use and I always recommend that any and all divers dive with a redundant air source, ie; pony bottle with separate regulator or a block(full face mask). Second is the use of a Jersey upline and lift bag. This not only alliviates the worry of finding the anchor line, not to be used all the time. Or if not using an upline know the techniques for using a wreck reel to come up from a wreck, some call it a reverse upline others may call it something else. It just seems that more and more divers are forgetting some of the basic skills that were taught. I know as a dive professional and Public Safety Diver, having a back up and a back up to the back up will get you home safely from most situations.

FFM would be over-kill for most divers, especially in terms of cost and increased complexity. I always did wonder why they didn't have more popularity for certain diving applications though (especially where ox-tox was an issue).

Having a redundant air source is a great option for emergency ascents...especially where conditions may preclude buddy separation (low viz) or on deep dives where a CESA may be a close call.

However, carrying a redundant air source is not a solution to the problem of poor air awareness.

That particular problem should be addressed with appropriate training, buddy/team procedures and self-discipline.

I do agree completely that all divers should have, and be able to use, a DSMB and reel. They provide a reference for ascent, tracking on drift dives and warnings to boat traffic as you ascend.

Back
Top Bottom