Rock boots - Need alternative

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frito Bandito

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I wear a size 15 shoe. I bought a CF200x signature with the rock boot option. Unfortunately, the size 15 rock boots are not big enough. The rock boots were smaller than my normal size 15 shoes so there was no way that the suit and some sort of thermal protection were going to fit. My dealer took back the rock boots and gave me $96 in exchange.

I've been trying all sorts of things to fake it and have spent > $100 to no avail. Tennis shoes and water sandals that are big enough for my feet & suit are too big to fit in my fins. I'm using Turtle fins which have the biggest foot pocket I've found.

Any suggestions?

xxl jets have a bigger foot pocket, i think. lots of people have tried converse all stars (ye olde 'chuck taylor's) high or low top & been happy.

love my turbosoles...:D

+1 for Chuck Taylor's. Famous Footwear or Shoe Carnival carries them for about $45 (get em on a buy one get one half off sale and you can have two pairs)

Don't know if they come in your size but I got them for my dry suit. Love them. I normally wear a 6 in the CT's but for the dry suit I have to wear a 7. If I wear really, really thick socks, the next size CT's wont fit in my fins so I am back to my rock boots. CT's are a fairly narrow shoe and fits my fins the same way my reef booties fit.

I haven't been able to find any large Chucks that I can try on. I found a pair of size 20 Adidas basketball shoes, but they were too big for the fin. Size 17 Teva sandals are a shade small, but tolerable and they don't fit in the fin.

Chucks have less excess material and if I could find some in size 17 or 18 that might do the trick. I'll have to hunt down some XXL jets too.

I just checked Famous Footwear and they only go up to size 13.

You order Chuck's directly from their site. They go up to a size 17. I am not sure how much that will help since you may need to try on the shoe to see if it fits. If you order a standard shoe the price is $45 for the pair and if you want a custom pair they start at around $60

Converse - Chuck Taylor, Jack Purcell, Basketball Shoes, Design Your Own Converse Shoes

I can say that the brand of the shoe does not matter. You really just need a shoe that can dry fairly quickly and Chucks are a good option. If there is any brand that is similar to CT's that will work great. Like you said, you need a shoe with less excess material. Basically a canvas walled shoe with little to no padding for the insole so it can dry easier.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Hi -

Have you tried wearing a wetsuit bootie in place of the RockBoot?

I wish I had a better answer for you. I spoke with Pam and she mentioned to me that a larger size RockBoot is on our list. Which means we are looking at the different options to bring in a larger boot.

Can I ask if you have tried removing the insole in the RockBoot?

What is the width of your foot/feet?

What insulation/DiveWear are your wearing on your feet?

Is the boot to short? To tight?

Thanks,

Kathy

Maybe it is just me, but before I finally decided to buy a pair of XXXL turtle fins to fit my size 14 rock boot I was using wet suit booties.

If I wasn't extremely careful, any small amount of 'extra' air in the foot would cause the wet suit boot to expand and blow my Atomic split fins off, even after I took off the spring straps and put conventional straps on the fins which I could cinch down real tight.

Since changing fins, and using the rock boot, I haven't had that problem.

Note: the size 14 rock boots wouldn't even come close to fitting in the biggest Atomic fins comfortably .. that's why I went with a different fin.

I recommend getting Converse chuck taylor all-stars in a size larger than you usually wear (to accomodate a neopren soft boot), and using XXL Jetfins, which have a significantly larger foot pocket than turtles. They often elicit jokes about their suitability as a life boat if things go bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom