Rock Boot vs Turbo Sole (integrated boot) Please share PROS and CONS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bowtieman427

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am BN to drysuits never dove one. Got a used DUI TLS 350 coming with Turbo soles. What are the pros and cons of Turbo Soles vs Rock Boots from a diving perspective.
I ask as I notice there is a real split with drysuit divers either they LOVE Rock boots or LOVE Turbo Soles and hate what they do not LOVE.

Standing back not knowing the difference I would think Turbo soles would be more expensive to make. The Rock boots would be cheaper, but offer the diver better choices on what to put on their feet.

Rock Boots vs Turbo Soles (integrated boot) Let the great debate begin...

Let me start by saying that I really like my DUI suit, but the truth is I can't stand _either_ of their footwear options. I opted for the TurboSoles (lesser of two evils) but neither is really satisfactory underwater or on land. This was not the first suit we've owned (it's #4 of 4 in the garage at the moment) so there's quite a few others to compare with.

It's all personal preference.

TurboSoles - good fit into the fin, comfortable for your feet, no entanglement hazard from laces, much better protection for the underside of your feet. Downsides? Two years and I've already worn through the toes. Feet get banged around a bit, as they're literally just a sneaker sole glued on the neoprene sock. No ankle protection, heel protection, toe protection, or ankle support walking in or out of the water, which sucks with a scooter, several stage bottles, and the rebreather (or god forbid I blow bubbles on dubs). If you size wrong, or you regularly use different weights of liners, at times you can have floaty (air filled) feet. The spring straps on my fins often don't feel "secure" since there's no hard rubber bit around your heel to have them latch on to. I've never had a problem, but it always feels weird, and it's been hundreds of dives :)

Rock boots - one more thing to lose or forget. Laces are a hazard for getting things tangled. Sand and grit between the neoprene sole and the inside lining of the boot will eat away at your neoprene sock much faster than any hard boot. Bulky enough to require most people to upsize their fin pockets. More weight to a part of the body that's already a bit heavy from the rubber fins. On the plus side? Great ankle support. Toe protection. Laces let you tighten things down so that air doesn't migrate into your toes (not that it would with good trim, but some people...)

DUI was nice enough to patch my toes for me when I sent the suit in for seal replacements and a crotch pad. That darn scooter two strap wears a lot on the crotch...someone want to take that thing off my hands? :) When they wear out completely, though, I'm putting a set of Diving Concepts feet/boots on the suit. Permanently attached, hard protection at the toe, heel, and ankle, and no laces/straps/anything else.

DUI used to offer those kind of boots years ago - pity they don't any more. I'd gladly have paid extra for that...

First, a qualifier...

I haven't dove anything else since purchasing my CFx450 back in 2000. Technology and changes happen, so I may be a little out of date.

I prefer the rock boots/Converse/Chuck's solution. I dove 'boot' drysuits for a while before getting my DUI, and I found they were rarely 'right'. No adjustment for various insulation levels, no real 'fit', and always the risk of 'light feet' or popping fins. With rock boots, they're always snug, no room for air to collect, and adjustable tension for various levels of insulation. Additionally, I'd expect the resale potential is much better, as all you may need to replace/adjust is the size of the rock boot (simply replaced with Chucks or Converse canvas).

Mike

I dive in the colder waters, so I've worn thick wetboots which forced me to buy fins with big pockets. When I was doing my drysuit class, the drysuit that I rented came with turbosoles. Convenient, like Camerone said, no ankle support. When purchasing my drysuit, I was recommended to get rockboots since I do a lot of shore diving and that'll eat away at the bottoms. So far, they've worked out great for me. With the extra weight from the rockboots & my fins I don't get floaty feet, I wrap the laces around the boot to reduce the amount of air that'll go in there. When the boots fall apart I'll probably look into get a pair of converse or something else for cheap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom