http://www.diveheart.org/

Robots to rebuild reefs! Pls Help this Kickstarter!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take a look at the team and their background and experience. These are not naive newbies, either about coral and marine ecology, or the underwater robotics and related technologies they're proposing to use.
Riiiighhtttt....Did I mention that I'm a robotic genius who also has a doctorate in coral biology? Go ahead and send me some money.

After all, if it's on the internet, it must be true, right?

Based on the cv's of the staff, I'm not really concerned about them negligently tearing up the reefs, and I do think they understand many of the difficulties. They certainly seem like the crew that will learn from whatever doesn't work the first time, and maybe make some progress.
Whatever doesn't work the first time- as in whatever tears up the reefs, causes damage and bang into the coral getting tossed by currents and surge? They might not be trying to tear up the reefs, but what happens when their robots fail and start banging into stuff?

The whole unlikely (at first glance) project tickles me enough to throw them a few bucks just to see what happens.
I can tell you what happens already. Your money goes to them. They buy "supplies" (beer) and have a "business meeting" (party). When the money dries up, they go on without any results. Nothing else.

The reefs are dieing. Got a better idea?
Yep. Fund established programs that are actually getting results- not funding the pie-in-the-sky dreams of some punks begging for money on the internet.

I'm thinking of starting a company to build robots that salvage these pie-in-the-sky robots. Otherwise not only will these junk robots pollute the ocean, but their bulk is going to maybe raise the sea level to critical mass and flood everything even worse than Katrina waxed New Orleans.

So maybe one day when I'm in Japan and my MikeNelson's 1 through 786 surface with crawloads of flooded junk bots, the people of Tokyo will turn to me and say as one, "Domo arigato Mr. Roboto."

Probably though, I'd just take the money, rent a yacht, maybe Van Halen for tunes, uh, maybe in the south of France for a year or two.

Probably though, I'd just take the money, rent a yacht, maybe Van Halen for tunes, uh, maybe in the south of France for a year or two.
Sounds like a perfect kickstarter project

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom