Roatan vs Costa Maya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skarloc

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

I am new to the scuba board. I a need a little help in deciding where to dive on a cruise we are taking the first part of March.

My first question is which is the better dive site Roatan or Costa Maya?

Second should we just book with the Cruise line Rotal Carribean?

Do I need to use a 3mm full, 3mm shorty or no wet suit that time of year?

Any information about these two dive areas whould really be helpfu.

Thanks

Skarloc:

The better diving is in Roatan. Costa Maya is alright, but
Roatan is much better known and has more dive shops going
for it. Also, better reefs.
As to diving with a cruise line, it's like this.
If you dive through the cruise line you will pay more for your dives
than you would pay working out a deal with a local dive shop -
the cruise line gets it's cut.
The good news of diving with the cruise line, is IF (the BIG IF) the
dive goes late, the cruise line will hold the ship for you.
If you dive through a local shop (not using the cruise line) and the
dive runs late - the ship could leave without you.
It now becomes your dime to get to the next port and meet the ship!
If your only going to many two dives per day - the 3mm shorty should
be fine that time year in either Roatan or Costa Maya.
Enjoy your trip.

Thanks for the info. Any dive shops you recommend in Roatan?

You might want to check out "Mayan Divers" on West Bay. They
are very good. A couple from Cuba with a shop and boat, very
nice people, and nice diving. There are many shops on island, most
are very good.
I'm not sure how far West Bay is from where your cruise ship will dock!
Better check that out first.
Where is Texas are you from?
My son is up north in Amarillo.
Anyway - enjoy your dives.

Best diving is Roatan. No doubt about that. Been to both places multiple times.
Use a 3 mm full suit and be happy.
Try to use Bay Island Beach Resort. Great op and they do work with cruise line passengers. www.bibr.com
Lastly get something like Cactus Juice and use it BEFORE you get off the ship. The sand fleas/no see-ums are terrible.
Bill

Thanks guys, I'll check them out the op that the RCCL uses is Anthony Keys Resort. I haven't seen much about them, but they take care of all the transportation etc. One post said they where alright but seemd rushed. I also emailed Coconut Dive Shop, they seemed nice, but at West Bay also.

We live just south of Dallas.

Thanks again for the advise and about the sand fleas.

The diving in Roatan is superb. The usual cruise ship port for Mexico is Cozumel in which case the diving is every bit as good (some even prefer it). The port at COZ has several options and some dive shops specifically cater to the cruise ships - Dive With Martin comes to mind. DO BOTH......Really Enjoy your vacation.

I strongle disagree. I have dove both. If you want very pristine reefs. You want to dive Costa Maya. More specifically south of Mahahual. You can book direct with one of the resorts that has an on-site dive operation and tell them you want to dive on the virgin areas of the reef. You won't be sorry you picked Costa Maya.

As a side note look in the new issue of Sport Diver Magazine there is an article on diving in Mahahual (Costa Maya).

Useful thread. Anyone else have opinions on Costa Maya vs. Cozumel?

Hey Freedc,

I ended up diving Roatan and was disappointed in the reef we dove on. I'm sure there are better places to go there, but off a cruise ship I doubt they take you to the best places. I know they don't in Cozumel. I never got to dive Costa Maya, but wish I would have now, just to compare.

Now in saying that, I have dove all over Cozumel and I still think they are the best so far, you can't go wrong. If you are cruising, maybe get with in dive operator that will take you further down the island more towards the southern end, If time permits.

I have always use Pelagic Ventures. Its owned by a Canadian and the dive master Alex is the best. Most the time we have been there it usually just my son and I on the boat, but we go in September. You will have long down times and he will make it interesting for you. I highly recommend them. No cattle boat.

Have fun and let me know what you end up doing.

Back
Top Bottom