Roatan vs Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mosquitos also exist in the islands. The no-see-ums are just pesky :D We have done numerous trips to Roatan since 2001. Initially, I read all of the information about the possibility of malaria in the area and actually took malaria prevention medication the first few trips. The more we visited and saw no signs of anyone having issues with malaria, the more lax I became in prevention. I learned that dengue is also a risk and there is no prevention for dengue, so I just quit worrying about it and went on about my business. I haven't taken any preventative measures in the past ten years, and have had no problems. I certainly wouldn't consider it a "high risk" area.

I'm confused. Malaria is transmitted by mosquitos but all I've heard re. bug problems is no-see-ums. Am I missing something. If malaria is a real concern then Dengue and Chikungunya must be as well.

While there is a chance of Malaria, Dengue and Chikungunya, With the spraying and other preventions taken, the risks for the average visitor staying in a touristy area are generally pretty low from what I have seen over the years yet the odds of someone in any group having problems with sand flies is extremely high. More people having problems is reason for more posts, A quick browse around the RTB departure gate on any given Saturday and you are sure to find more than a couple of people that resemble a measles outbreak yet at the same time there may be none at all that have even been bit by a malaria carrying mosquito. If you search the bay island forums for Malaria you will find there actually are a lot of posts on the subject
Chikengunya will only be suffered once

Does one become immune after having it? I never have heard this.

Well all I know is if you donate blood in the US and have been to or report you have been to Roatan you CAN NOT give blood for a year.
Bonaire doesn't have that risk but you can get dengue which I have gotten in Curacao (also No Malaria risk there). Well maybe there is a risk I am just focused on blood donation part. Obviously there are more knowledgeable people here than me. Blood donation center that I go to has mentioned anything about dengue, has not mentioned I should say.

Well all I know is if you donate blood in the US and have been to or report you have been to Roatan you CAN NOT give blood for a year.

Yep, I had just passed the 1o gallon mark when we began to visit Roatan, Unless they come u with a test of sorts I will likely never be able to give blood in the US again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom