Roatan vs Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been to both locations and enjoyed my diving at both. The biggest differences are on shore. Roatan is too third world for my taste. The resorts are fine but the no see ums are ferocious. Most of the boats in Roatan were antique and in ill repair. Lots of scary neighborhoods. Lots of extreme poverty.

Bonaire is Dutch and feels cleaner and safer. There is boat diving but most people shore dive on their own. I love diving when and where I want without a dive master. I enjoyed the small quaint restaurants and sparse night life.

Hope that helps.

Been to Bonaire many times( over 10) been to roatan once, but as an active blood donor will probably never go back. You're banned for a year for just stepping on the place (Malaria risk). Not really concerned about how accurate it is but that's the reality. So go to Bonaire if you're are an active blood donor or if not ignore the "risk".

Been to Bonaire many times( over 10) been to roatan once, but as an active blood donor will probably never go back. You're banned for a year for just stepping on the place (Malaria risk). Not really concerned about how accurate it is but that's the reality. So go to Bonaire if you're are an active blood donor or if not ignore the "risk".

Interesting--I was unaware of that. What's your source for that information about being banned for blood donation for a year after visiting Roatan? How about Belize and the Dominican Republic and other parts of the Caribbean in which malaria has been reported? And what about Dengue?

Interesting--I was unaware of that. What's your source for that information about being banned for blood donation for a year after visiting Roatan? How about Belize and the Dominican Republic and other parts of the Caribbean in which malaria has been reported? And what about Dengue?
"Been Reported" is too vague.
CDC - Malaria - Travelers

Risk is Moderate in Roatan, Low in Belize and DR, None in Bonaire.
CDC - Malaria - Travelers - Malaria Information and Prophylaxis, by Country
Red Cross bases its deferrals on the CDC info:
"Blood donations are not tested for malaria because there is no sensitive blood test available for malaria. If you have traveled or lived in a malaria-risk country, we may require a waiting period before you can donate blood.

• Wait 3 years after completing treatment for malaria.
  • Wait 12 months after returning from a trip to an area where malaria is found.
  • Wait 3 years after living 5 years or more in a country or countries where malaria is found."

tursiops, I'm familiar with the CDC website--heck, the CDC is here where I live. I was asking specifically about chauncy's statement about blood donation. It's not clear from your quote from Red Cross what they mean by "malaria-risk country" and how that relates to "an area where malaria is found." As you know, the CDC has a country-by-country list, and some Caribbean countries are rated "Low" risk to US travelers while others are "Moderate." Roatan is rated Moderate. I'm curious if chauncy has more information.

tursiops, I'm familiar with the CDC website--heck, the CDC is here where I live. I was asking specifically about chauncy's statement about blood donation. It's not clear from your quote from Red Cross what they mean by "malaria-risk country" and how that relates to "an area where malaria is found." As you know, the CDC has a country-by-country list, and some Caribbean countries are rated "Low" risk to US travelers while others are "Moderate." Roatan is rated Moderate. I'm curious if chauncy has more information.
I probably was not clear; the quote is from the Red Cross website, not the CDC.
The rest of the Red Cross website is not very informative: it all seems left up to the collection point at the time of collection, although they do provide a phone number to call for info.

Yes, I know those ratings; they are what I quoted in my post.

My point is the RC depends on the CDC, and the CDC has explicit ratings. I speculate that for Moderate and above, the RC says No.

My point is the RC depends on the CDC, and the CDC has explicit ratings. I speculate that for Moderate and above, the RC says No.

If your speculation is correct, then that answers my question.

I haven't been able to give blood since the first time I wentto Belize. I've never made it more than a year without going back or at least to Roatan, which only made the "no give" was even more so. People living in Belize are allowed to give blood there and tourists are encouraged also to give when visiting. They really need the blood and Belizeans have already been exposed just by living there. Guess what tourists in accidents that requires they be given blood, guess what they get? :)

---------- Post added December 6th, 2014 at 12:40 AM ----------

Oh and I really must throw my support and wholehearted agreement with Doc. I loved diving from the first but have never been so happy as I've been since becoming a macro nut. I'm seen with my magnifying glass and as Doc said, knowing the habitat helps you find on your own. Yes, it is delightful to have a DM that loves to share with you too. But true joy comes from finding the itty bitty creatures on your own . . .AND then showing another diver that hadn't yet realized, wstching them become excited, watching them start to show their buddy . . .

Last edited:
I'm confused. Malaria is transmitted by mosquitos but all I've heard re. bug problems is no-see-ums. Am I missing something. If malaria is a real concern then Dengue and Chikungunya must be as well.

Malaria is a recurring illness. Chikengunya will only be suffered once. Dengue you have to catch again. It doesn't stay in your system. I could be wrong but perhaps that is why.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom