Roatan vs Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have never dove either of these places, and am looking at booking either a liveaboard to the Exuma Islands or CoCo view in Roatan. Strickly from a diving perspective, which is a better place? (never mind the accomadations - just looking for info on the diving). I am taking my fourth trip to Bonaire this summer, and wondering how these sites compare? When I dive, I like to do as much diving as possible (3-5 dives a day - not just a two tank boat dive each day).

Scotty, the diving is probably betting on Roatan. The downside is the sand fleas. I would not recommend CoCo View although there are many who love the place. I found the food mediocre and if you have been there 20 times before you can feel a bit of an outcast. I have other places I recommend to you. Liquid Diving Adventures

We haven't been to Exuma so I can't comment there, but have been to CoCo view and also Bonaire last month. The diving at CoCo View was as easy as Capt Don's, grab a tank, hop in, any time. The CCV front yard is very nice, CCV wall to your left, the Prince Albert wreck straight ahead and further over the wreck is Newman's wall. All three great dives. On the way back in following the chain it's about 8-15' the whole way and it's full of life. On one night dive we saw a couple spotted eagle rays in the shallows, often see squid, eels and all kind of macro life. You get two boat dives a day one in the AM and one after lunch, after the boat dive you can get dropped on either wall or the wreck for your 2nd tank. The boats are top notch, best I've been on - well, probably tied with Ocean Frontiers on the east side of Grand Cayman. Great staff and everyone is very friendly. Mr. LiquidDivingAdventure apparently had a (and from what I've typically heard unusually) bad time but I sure don't know how. My wife (non-diver) and I loved it. We made friends there that we still keep in touch with 5 years later. It was a blast and while the diving in Bonaire is arguably better I'd say the sites in Roatan offered a bit more variety from a topography perspective. I did 24 dives in about 5 and a half days. Last month in Bonaire (sans wife that trip!) I did 27 in the same amount of time. I'm very eager to get back to both places!

When we were there (April) we had no issues with sand fleas, although some of the people we met stayed two weeks and said they showed up the 2nd week! People we talked to at the airport who had stayed on the north side of the island said they were really bad up there. The food wasn't gourmet but it was good and plentiful. No issues there and I'd argue at least as good as Belize Aggressor III liveaboard food!

We spent Christmas in Roatan at The Reef House. If you want to do nothing but dive, I recommend it. Mike (the owner) has the Reef House set up to handle about 24 folks max. Two boats, very dive able. The food is great (one of the differences from Coco View...). There's is not much to do but dive. They have a concrete pier right in front of them and shore diving is easy and great. The packages include 3 boat dives a day (2 tank morning, 1 tank afternoon). They dive a greater variety than CoCo since they don't just drop you on the way back to shore. The dive sites are more pristine also since you are so far East on the Island... only saw one other dive boat the entire week and that was CoCo view when we went West for one dive. Unlimited shore diving. Roms are nice and spacious. Right on the water. It's like a live-a-board on shore... enjoyed it very much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom