Roatan: Stanley Submarines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@larry200,

I wonder if I bumped into you as I was on Roatan that day. Sounds like you enjoyed the ride. A story I heard is one customer asked Karl why he did not ask for a liability release to be signed. His answer was something like "if you die, I die."

Hey folks , I have been on Karl's new sub last year.(jan 08) And have to say it was one of the coolest thinks I have ever done. It was $1000. and well worth the cash. Think of it this way there is only acouple of subs in the world that do this, and this is a once in a life time trip. We were out for about 5 hours so it's about 200/hr. Compare this to a lawyer fee and it's not hard to justify.(you can find a lawyer anywhere and they usually take more that 1000...lol) Anyway just my 2cents. I will be back on roatan march 13 for another week of fun. Hopefully I will see Karl again.

Cheers
Andy

AWESOME! I gonna have to add this to my list of once in a lifetime things to do. Is the vid taken by the guest or is there some onboard system? I'm curious about gear used and lighting and all that good stuff

We did it in January 2009 and it was awesome. Karl resolved his business issues and had been up and running for a week or so when we went. We are going back to Rotan in May and will totally do it again.

Photos at the bottom of this set are from the submarine:

Roatan Favorites - January 2009 - a set on Flickr

It is somewhat expensive, but if you even could get a seat on another submarine that goes that deep, it would be 20x more expensive. I think there are something like six research submarines in the world that go below 3,000 ft. I do regret only having a $200 camera on my last trip down, but I got a DSLR for May, partially so I can take better photos on our next sub ride.

It's probably the most awesome thing I've ever done. Also, once you decide to do it, every time you dive along the wall you can look down, down, down and say to yourself "in a couple days I'm going there!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom