Roatan Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good Morning Roman...we're leaving DFW for some RTB diving very soon. Doc has given you some great info. Based on your questions and responses the diving in Roatan will require much less task-loading than what you may be used to.

As Doc told me last year...go slow, really look around especially up close, relax and enjoy the dives. It's easy to overthink and create the scuba spreadsheet in our head. Not needed on RTB. Communicate with your DM early what you hope to encounter and demonstrate good skills and most of the DMs will work very hard to make sure you have memorable dives.

Not much need for doubles. The sites are generally minutes from the dock. It's kinda...get in boat, dive your tank, get back in boat, eat a sandwich and drink a coke at the dock, get back in boat, repeat. We have been diving many places and it doesn't get much easier and user-friendly than in Roatan.

Other Q about additional fees in Roatan: I understood that to agreed price with dive shop I need to add local Tax (how much ?) and I will need to pay some amount (how much ?) in RTB airport before departure. Something else except tips to crew ?

At the bottom of the pricing chart:
All prices are in US dollars, at per person rates, and do not include 19% Honduran hotel tax or beverages from the bar.

And in "Other Questions".

There is the Airport Departure Tax of $38 USD per person, "cash only", paid at the Roatan Airport before departure, and there is the Honduran Hotel tax of 20% that, unfortunately, must be added onto your bill. Credit Cards are accepted in all major tourist areas and at The Reef House Resort.

There are no extra conversion fees to use a credit card at the resort. It's calculated in straight $USD.

In case you missed it RHR is a no-gloves diving operation.

Last edited:
The airport departure tax is now included in your airline ticket. I just returned from RTB and did not have to pay it at the airport. I believe it is only included on tickets purchased after December 19, 2014.

THAT is nice. I mean, even if it's a little more money.....not having to wait in another line is very nice.

Drothbart, are you able to verify that every airline now includes departure fee in their tickets?

Drothbart, are you able to verify that every airline now includes departure fee in their tickets?

I can't say for all airlines but I can confirm both Delta and United now include the departure fee in their ticket price based on our return trip last weekend.

If you look on your ticket receipt under taxes and fees, and see both D1 and D2 (I think one is about $7.00 and the other is around $32.00) this would be your departure tax.

From this page translated into English Incorporation of new tariffs in air tickets for airport tax. | Aeropuertos de Honduras

It doesn't specify only certain airlines, so I assume all are affected. I traveled on United.

"[h=1]Incorporation of new tariffs in air tickets for airport tax.[/h]22. DIC, 2014 | COMUNICADOS DE PRENSA
Incorporation of new tariffs in air tickets for airport tax.
Aeropuertos de Honduras informs the general public, that as part of its commitment towards the development of international airports in the country, it been implemented, under the agreement signed with the International Air Transport Association (IATA, for its acronym in English), the incorporation into the air ticket the airport tax of departure, for those passengers who have purchased their tickets from December 19, 2014 and whose trip begins on February 15 2015.
The above said in addition to improving the level of service provided to our international passengers, also helps strengthen the airport industry and tourism development in Honduras.
Tegucigalpa MDC, December 19, 2014

« AEROPUERTOS DE HONDURAS REPORTS TO THE STATE L. 61,8886,846 IN CANNON CONCEPT
HEATH OFFICE IS OPENED IN TONCONTIN IONTERNATIONAL AIRPORT »"

It was an unexpected pleasure to dive with Rudebob. Nothing rude about you. B & D

I was thinking Reef House Resort? Roatan Diving, Honduras Roatan Diving, Honduras Scuba Diving, PADI Scuba Courses, Shark Dive, Scuba Diving, Night Dive, Night Diving, Reef House, Reef House Resort, Reefhouseresort, Reef Dive Sites, Scuba Vacations, Dive Vacations, Roatan Dive Resort

Partly because

I was glad we had A/C on Roatan in early May. It's the humidity more than the temperature. We stayed in the West End, IDK if that matters though - it seemed pretty hot/humid everywhere - even the south side when we ventured over there several times.

Also there's a lot of flying bugs so as long as the screens are intact it's Ok but otherwise it can be very uncomfortable.

FYI, I'm staying in West End right now, mid to late May.. I haven't turned on the A/C yet.. At night I turn on a fan and get under the covers..

---------- Post added May 20th, 2015 at 05:58 PM ----------

At the bottom of the pricing chart:

And in "Other Questions".

In case you missed it RHR is a no-gloves diving operation.

I believe the hotel tax is 19%.. I paid cash at an unnamed West End Hotel and didn't pay any tax... Also, I negotiated for a lower nightly rate since I'm staying for two weeks this time.. Things are slow right now, so lower prices are possible..

Back
Top Bottom