Roatan Northeast vs. Southeast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Linash

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I dove Roatan on three separate trips 30 years ago and have wonderful memories of stunning corals and sea life. I too am hoping to return with my 15 year old son, who has been snorkeling since he was 4 and has 20 or so dives. We've dived Bonaire and Cozumel but are thinking about someplace different for March 2025.

I recall that on one trip I stayed in a tiny guest house in Punta Gorda (run by a local named Ben) and only dove the north side. We were the only non-locals for miles and it was magical. The diving was pristine and beautiful, with spectacular coral formations unlike any I've seen, but I don't recall exactly the depth of the dives on that side nor whether it would be appropriate for my son who is an OWD. Unfortunately, I lost my (paper) dive log in one of many moves.

We're debating staying again on the North side (maybe Marble Hill?) or Reef House (South side).

Can anyone chime in on whether the east side has experienced as much bleaching as is being described here and whether the north or south would be
a) in better condition?
b) equally suitable for an OWD?

Also, does anyone know if there is a good guide to the various sites (with descriptions, depths, etc) on Roatan that goes beyond the West side?

Thanks!

Hi,

I dove Roatan on three separate trips 30 years ago and have wonderful memories of stunning corals and sea life. I too am hoping to return with my 15 year old son, who has been snorkeling since he was 4 and has 20 or so dives. We've dived Bonaire and Cozumel but are thinking about someplace different for March 2025.

I recall that on one trip I stayed in a tiny guest house in Punta Gorda (run by a local named Ben) and only dove the north side. We were the only non-locals for miles and it was magical. The diving was pristine and beautiful, with spectacular coral formations unlike any I've seen, but I don't recall exactly the depth of the dives on that side nor whether it would be appropriate for my son who is an OWD. Unfortunately, I lost my (paper) dive log in one of many moves.

We're debating staying again on the North side (maybe Marble Hill?) or Reef House (South side).

Can anyone chime in on whether the east side has experienced as much bleaching as is being described here and whether the north or south would be
a) in better condition?
b) equally suitable for an OWD?

Also, does anyone know if there is a good guide to the various sites (with descriptions, depths, etc) on Roatan that goes beyond the West side?

There are easy and more difficult dives all around Roatan.

The best "guide" I saw was on a wall at Barefoot Cay Diving. It had icons indicating the difficulty level of each dive site. I haven't been able to find a copy of that online anywhere though.

RMP does a map of sites. Roatan Dive Sites. You can click on any location to find the depth - although it doesn't indicate difficulty.

As for bleaching east/west. I can't say if it is different from one side to the other. I've been in West End when it was pretty bad although it seems to be recovering now. The issue for me is not the bleaching but the SCTLD that decimated lots of hard corals.

Since you seem to like the quieter experiences, have you considered Guanaja?

There are easy and more difficult dives all around Roatan.

The best "guide" I saw was on a wall at Barefoot Cay Diving. It had icons indicating the difficulty level of each dive site. I haven't been able to find a copy of that online anywhere though.

RMP does a map of sites. Roatan Dive Sites. You can click on any location to find the depth - although it doesn't indicate difficulty.

As for bleaching east/west. I can't say if it is different from one side to the other. I've been in West End when it was pretty bad although it seems to be recovering now. The issue for me is not the bleaching but the SCTLD that decimated lots of hard corals.

Since you seem to like the quieter experiences, have you considered Guanaja?
Thanks! Great information. The RMP map is great, but I'm a little confused. I think the depth indicated must be the dept of the mooring? Most of the sites listed show 20 or 30'--which doesn't seem right for the site itself.

I hadn't thought of Guanaja. It looks perfect, but adds a lot of complexity and time in getting there--and any flight issues could strand us in Roatan, since it seems the ferry only runs 1 day a week. Roatan was attractive because the total travel time from Boston could be 10 hours or less, and only one stop (although not every day.(

Thanks! Great information. The RMP map is great, but I'm a little confused. I think the depth indicated must be the dept of the mooring? Most of the sites listed show 20 or 30'--which doesn't seem right for the site itself.

I hadn't thought of Guanaja. It looks perfect, but adds a lot of complexity and time in getting there--and any flight issues could strand us in Roatan, since it seems the ferry only runs 1 day a week. Roatan was attractive because the total travel time from Boston could be 10 hours or less, and only one stop (although not every day.(
You're right about the mooring lines. I just checked El Aguila wreck which I know to be a 100' + dive and it says 80 feet. This is why I like the one on the wall at the dive shop. I have not been able to find anything like it.

As for Guanaja, yes the ferry may be less convenient. But you could also charter a flight Roatan Private Plane.

I haven't been yet, but I'm in Roatan every year. I keep wanting to use part of my vacation to settle down for a week in Guanaja

Hi Linash,

The prevailing winds come mainly from the east, which means there are often more waves and wind on the southern side of the island. Conditions are usually acceptable, but they can be more variable in the winter. Although Marble Hill is located in the north, it’s still exposed to the eastern winds, making it potentially windier.

Most dive centers and activities are concentrated in the southwest of the island, where conditions are excellent. The reef is very close to shore, meaning short boat rides to the sites. The variety of dive spots allows divers of all levels to fully enjoy their dives. On most sites, the reef starts at 15 feet and gradually slopes down to 60 feet. Roatan is perfect for diving! I'm sure you will love it! :)

Back
Top Bottom