Roatan in September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only downside to visiting Roatan in September is that it's peak hurricane season. While direct hits are rare, rough seas can still cancel boat trips. That's why we prefer January – the water is still a warm 82°F, and it's the perfect escape from the winter chill in the U.S. Plus, no weather issues to worry about, and hour-long dives are common. The diving is also affordable – we’ve paid as little as $30 per dive when doing 15+ dives in a week. The challenge is finding decent accommodations that don’t come with unwanted critters. The local spots are used to male divers who aren't too fussy, but as more couples visit, like us, a bit more refinement is needed. Starting a vacation with a bug bomb just to get your wife into the room isn't the best first impression.
I stay at Chillie's in the cabins and have more than once woken up to a cat curled up next to me. The agouti's pay daily visits to the little porch area which is really cool.

Now, about the bugs.... I went and got a tattoo of a sand fly on my hand to commemorate the bastards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom