Roatan in August?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingKDawg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Any issues with weather/hurricanes, etc? Also looking for recommendations for places to stay, dive shops, etc.

August should be fine. While Roatan could be hit with a hurricane, it is below the normal hurricane routes so the chances are slim. The rainy season doesn't start until late September.

As for places to stay and dive shops? Where to start? It depends on just what you're looking for. There are dive shops all over Roatan with places to stay either on site or nearby. I've only dived on the west end of the island, either at Anthony's Key, which is an (almost) all-inclusive resort or in West End. If you want an all-inclusive, there are several to choose from...Anthony's Key, Coco View, Mayan Princess, and Turquoise Bay, just to name a few. All are excellent choices. If you want something that is not as costly, I have stayed at Mame Tree and Hotel Posada Arco Iris. Both are economical but somewhat on the rustic side. Mame Tree does have some efficiency rooms that are nice. Both of these are within a very short walk of dive shops. In fact, you can't throw a rock in West End without hitting a dive shop.

There are a few dive shops that also have Stay and Dive packages. One is Coconut Tree Divers at the north end of West End. I've not stayed there but I have dived with them. We were happy with the diving there and would dive with them again. Another one is Splash Inn Dive resort a little further south but still in West End. It has its own restaurant which we have eaten at several times. Breakfast is included if you stay there. If I didn't want to go to a AI resort, I'd strongly consider them. I have talked to people staying there and they seemed quite happy with them. A couple of other dive shops that I have not dived with but have excellent reputations are Sun Divers and Roatan Divers.

Good luck with choosing a place to stay and/or dive. The choices are many.

We have been diving in West End, Roatan for the last 18 years. We always dive with West End Divers.. Contact Courtney. We have stayed at Arco Iris , no pool, LOVE the restaurant, Argentinian Grill. We love Coco Lobo, beautiful pool and a light breakfast. It is a bit of a walk to town, but that did not bother us. Most recently we have been staying at Iron Shores Condos...Krystal is great!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom