Roatan in a week - logistics advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to do a tour of the island and hire a driver to take you, talk to the front desk at Bananarama to see if Omar can take you. He's one of their drivers and also does some of the airport pick-ups. Speaking of it, if you want to stop at Plaza del Mar on the way from the airport, just e-mail Bananarama in advance to let them know (no extra charge). Great way to get snacks, beer, drinks, etc.

ATMs: I haven't ever had luck with the one at Mayan Princess actually working. I did get bitten once in the West End, selected dollars and out spit 150 lmps instead:) That was the ATM by the pizza place, near Tong's Thai.

The water taxis are easy to get, sometimes they'll pick up right in the beach at Bananarama. If none around, short walk on the beach to the dock in front of Infinity Bay. Lots of great places in West End. I'm drawing a blank on the name of a restaurant at a B&B, think it was Lily Pond but not 100%, that was very good. Ask Sofia and Mal at the Bananarama dive shop, they were the ones who told some of us about it.

I second the Thirsty Turtle for post-dive drinks, those 2 for 1 specials were such a great deal. I love Wilma's Monkey La-La's, Stephen can make a pretty mean drink as well. Have fun, I love Bananarama and the dive shop, first time in 4 years I'm not making the trip:depressed:

No argument on either count! The only thing that I didn't like about the Thirsty Turtle is that the 2 for $5 drinks are in the smaller cups than when at regular price. But that's minor compared with everything else (staff ... Jessica, Alberto, everyone! vibe, location, beverage choices, etc.)

On the snorkeling, when we were there, reports were that a turtle could be seen during the morning. My wife and I never saw it but multiple folks reported it. We did see juvenile barracuda, plenty of blue tangs, needle fish, sharp tail eel, sand divers, and all the normal reef fish.

Didn't notice the smaller cups, but hell I can't even get the directions right! Thirsty Turtle is a great little beach bar we always stay at the Mayan Princess but don't do much business with their bar and instead hang out at the turtle.

3 years ago I was snorkeling down at the snorkeling area we are talking about, I was trying out a new video camera and fully engrossed in filming a "tang gang' of about 200 tangs flowing in and around the reef, I was focusing on one when it suddenly exploded into pieces about 18 inches from my face. A huge baraccuda blasted it into pieces and was gulping it down just about 2 feet from me, it startled me so much I screamed like a girl underwater, cut my hand on the coral and we did this stand off for about 15 seconds which seemed like 20 minutes where we just stared at each other until I slowly back peddled away from him.

If a "Guy Screams Like a Girl" is to emphasize a situation, than in the same situation, "How Does A Girl Scream?" :hm:

Great Thread...In a few weeks my GF and I are headed to the Bay Islands. We will spend 3 weeks on Utila while I do my DM and some Conservation Education Training...then one week on Roatan at AKR for dedicaded GF time. We will have to check out the Thirsty Monkey, the snorkling and the Seafood diner special.:cheers:

~Michael~

---------- Post added April 9th, 2012 at 02:57 PM ----------

Didn't notice the smaller cups, but hell I can't even get the directions right! Thirsty Turtle is a great little beach bar we always stay at the Mayan Princess but don't do much business with their bar and instead hang out at the turtle.

3 years ago I was snorkeling down at the snorkeling area we are talking about, I was trying out a new video camera and fully engrossed in filming a "tang gang' of about 200 tangs flowing in and around the reef, I was focusing on one when it suddenly exploded into pieces about 18 inches from my face. A huge baraccuda blasted it into pieces and was gulping it down just about 2 feet from me, it startled me so much I screamed like a girl underwater, cut my hand on the coral and we did this stand off for about 15 seconds which seemed like 20 minutes where we just stared at each other until I slowly back peddled away from him.

Imagine getting hit in the face by a four footer on a night dive.......they are truly remarkable animals. Regards,

Foster's has two lobster tail dinner for $12 and thursdays and king crab on fridays for $$16. Ponodora has 2 pasta dinners for price of one on thursdays. Food at infinity palapa bar is very good. Tongs Thai food is awesome, they only take cash. I live in new york city and this thai food is just as good if not better than anything I can find here.
I agree with whoever mentioned Gios, great food but it can start sounding like a construction sight with everyone hammering away cracking open shelfish, great views too.

Back
Top Bottom