Road Traveling from Belize to Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am currently sitting in an internet cafe in Flores, Northern gauatamala, as we speak. I travelled here from utila, staying in a few places along the way. I travelled solely using cheap local transport and the total cost including all boat travel was something like 30 dollars.
I think Dandy Dans response is inaccurate. I think thats just been pulled off a US website somewhere. Sure Central America is't free of problems but I've spoken to 100's of fellow travellors in the weeks I've been out here and very very few have had problems. If they have its usually in the form of bag snatching.These are lovely countries and 99.9% of the people are friendly and welcoming.
Travelling by land isn´'t gonna be easy, but it's fun and will give you great exposure to a beautiful country and its culture.

Cornelius:
I am currently sitting in an internet cafe in Flores, Northern gauatamala, as we speak. I travelled here from utila, staying in a few places along the way. I travelled solely using cheap local transport and the total cost including all boat travel was something like 30 dollars.
I think Dandy Dans response is inaccurate. I think thats just been pulled off a US website somewhere. Sure Central America is't free of problems but I've spoken to 100's of fellow travellors in the weeks I've been out here and very very few have had problems. If they have its usually in the form of bag snatching.These are lovely countries and 99.9% of the people are friendly and welcoming.
Travelling by land isn´'t gonna be easy, but it's fun and will give you great exposure to a beautiful country and its culture.
That is excellent to know Cornelius. I know our government tends to make many other countries look terrible. Similar things are said of Costa Rica and Honduras as well but I know many people that have had wonderful times there traveling by land to although I would still be cautious. I'm thinking of probably flying to Roatan or Utila from Belize and see if we have enough time to maybe make it to Costa Rica. I will of course be posting another adventure travel upon my safe return. Until then I must wait another 19 days for Cozumel. Getting more fidgety every day! Thanks again for all the posted feedback, I feel confident in molding my plan of attack now.

Scuba Boarders rock!

Cornelius,

I'm going to be following your tracks from Utila to Flores in a few weeks, via Omoa. Any suggestions for me along the way? I'm aiming for 2 full days of travel. Think I can make it? I'm a bit worried I won't be able to complete the 2nd day of travel from Omoa to Flores in one day.

Cornelius:

austintx74:
Cornelius,

I'm going to be following your tracks from Utila to Flores in a few weeks, via Omoa. Any suggestions for me along the way? I'm aiming for 2 full days of travel. Think I can make it? I'm a bit worried I won't be able to complete the 2nd day of travel from Omoa to Flores in one day.

That really does sound like 2 FULL days of travel! Getting to Omoa is no problem of course. The only factor is - can you get a boat to Puerto Barrios and will there be a bus to Flores? Oh the joys of travel! And if there is no bus, well Puerto Barrios is such a beautiful place to spend a day! Mind you - I was there a few years back. The road to Flores is now paved I believe. Last time I took it, we had to get out and push the bus out of the mud.

austintx74:
Cornelius,

Dude - I went via Omoa to Flores, however i stopped in Livingstone for a couple of nights too. Getting from Utila to Omoa is fairly tough as u will have to go via San Pedro Sula, then up to Peurto Curtes, then another bus from there to Omoa. That journey took us about 9 hours as it was chicken buses all the way. There are a few boats that make the journey although they are scarce and ery expensive.
Omoa to Livingstone is easy and fairly quick going via Peurto Barrios. We set out at 7am and arrived about 2pm, so if u went really early u may be able to get to Livingstone then boat down to Rio Dulce then catch a direct us up to Flores and do it all in a day.
We got an Ejectivo bus from Rio Dulce to Flores. It was expensive at nearly 15 USD but was air con with reclining seats and made the journey in about 3 hrs. Was a rare moment of luxury. Anyway gd luck mate. U might want to think about going to a hostel called El Retoro at Lanquin near Semuc Champay. I justy left there for Angitua and it was ****ing awesome. beaytiul setting. amazing hostel and sooooo much natural beatty in the area to look at. Gd luck fella!!

Bottom line is that you won't save much money by taking the bus or ferry from Belize to Roatan. Ten years ago when I took the bus/hitchhiked and found local boats it was a fun adventure but a long trip. They are almost done upgrading the road to Punta Gorda so it doesn't take 14 hours anymore to get to southern Belize. Ten years ago we needed to take a boat from Puerto Barrios Guatamala to Honduras (then a bus to La Cieba), I'm not sure if there is a road now for that leg. This past winter we went from Caye Caulker to San Ignacio to Tikal Guatamala - roads are pretty good now compaired to ten years ago. The public bus was fine, quick and safe. We did fly from Belize City to Roatan because it didn't cost any more than than going by land. There were only three direct flights a week to La Cieba (otherwise you need to go through El Salvador with a day layover). Unless you are on a 3 month "finding yourself" trip, take the plane.

Back
Top Bottom