RLI Insurance Won't Be There for You

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had hoped at one point to repair the boat and go on. A number of factors have influenced us to make other plans.

1. We need money from either the builder or the insurance company to do that. Neither seems likely at this point.

2. The boat is in Georgia in a boatyard that charges you for breathing even if they don't have to do the work. So bringing in outside help adds 35% to the cost (the boatyard's surcharge).

3. We are in Virginia and getting the boat here on a barge would cost we estimate $50K of more.

4. The engines were pickled by the boatyard mentioned above. They charged mr $8K to do that and clean the boat when it was salvaged. They never turned the engines and an inspection by the regional Yanmar Technicians found that the injectors were never pulled and the engines and transmissions need to be replaced. The difference for repairing and replacing is within $4K and the warranty for replacement is 2 years and for repair is 6 months. The total cost for replacement is ~60K.

5. All of the electronics need replacing. I estimate ~50K.

6. The cosmetics are an unknown but anything you can't do yourself is expensive.

7. The electrical system is also an unknown. Could be largely OK or you might need to replace all of the wiring. The generator engine was pickled but I'm told the generator part would need to be replaced. Batteries need to be replaced.

8. All appliances need to be replaced.

9. Props and possible drive shafts need replacing. Rudders are an unknown.

I am quite handy and have a large workshop with a ton of woodworking tools but I'm in Virginia and the boat is in Georgia bleeding us dry.

I hope this answers your questions.

Guy, I am vary sad for you. As I said, makes me want to vomit a little. Best of luck to you and your wife.

The hatch is for escaping so I am guessing that it is for an emergency like if the boat were to ever flip?? I am on the right track here ???

The way it was explained to us the escape hatches were mandated by the European Union for all catamarans. The thought is that they would allow survivors to re-enter the hull and get out of the elements of a capsized catamaran if they had a lengthy wait for help. I understand that the EU has now eliminated the requirement at least for cats of our size but I don't know that for sure. The escape hatches were most applicable for large sailing cats that have a pension for flipping if they are sailed poorly in heavy winds and a following sea.

Guy, if you still owe a great deal on the boat and you sell it, how can you get the title released to the new owner? Wouldn't there still be a lean on it?

My heart breaks for you. Very sad.

Typical laws requiring the customers to protect everyone but no protection for the customer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom