• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Riviera Maya resort recommendations?

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by frogster84, Apr 28, 2019.

1. rick00001967

rick00001967 Tech Instructor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    in mexico.....$500 per night for two people.....i would be living like a king

hakuna, spc751 and Streydog like this.
  2. ontdiver

ontdiver Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499

3. Lillieme

Lillieme Garibaldi

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Desire.

4. frogster84

frogster84 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Upper limit - icluding a non-diver - the really nice resorts were in the four figure range per night...

Just happy i didn't look that one up while at work :wink:

In the end we decided on TRS Yucatan, several days and Mexico City and then the Paradisus La Perla.
    Any dive center recommendations? Preferrably one that does pick up and would be able to cover both resorts? Mostly intereste in some cavern dives in Cenotes (maybe do an intro to cave class) and some reef diving?
    Would be great if it was the same dive shop so my gear could remain there while we're in CDMX...

5. Charles Dieringer

Charles Dieringer Angel Fish

Check out the Valintin Imperial Maya. Quiet, no kids, very good food. Probably the biggest pool in Riviera Maya.

6. PARADISE HUNTER

PARADISE HUNTER Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I think the Riu resorts in Playa give good value for the cost. They do a good job at everything, including the food. They are not top of the line, but nor are their prices.

If you are looking for an adult only resort, you might take a look at the Couples resort chain in Jamaica for a future trip. My wife and I are big fans and the food is the best we've ever had at any resort. High end restaurant grade.

7. garyh

garyh Angel Fish

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I typically spent around 6 weeks a year cave diving in the area, usually stay in Puerto Aventuras. Have tried B&B's, apt rentals as well as all inclusives. My most recent trip I spent a week in an apt at Zero Gravity, awesome!!!! the second week at Dreams Puerto Aventuras this is my 5th stay there, my 1st 4 were fine this past one was a nightmare. Food quality has gone major downhill, BIG TIME , the beach is a joke I did not get an ocean swim in all week the seaweed washing in is out of control. I could go on about lost luggage and travel reps who just did not GAF. Still trying to recoup costs re the lost luggage etc would STRONGLY advise against staying at Dreams PA. The only thing they have going for them is the unlimited beer!!!

8. jonhall

jonhall Manta Ray

Wow - from Akumal to Mexico City and back to Playa del Carmen. Does that mean you will be going to Cancun airport from Akumal and flying to Mexico City and then back to Cancun for the last few days in PDC? Nice trip and a lot of traveling!

If you had not decided, I would have echoed someone else's post about Puerto Morelos (between PDC and Cancun) for the diving as they are in a protected marine park. Have only dived in PDC and PM along the Riviera Mayan coast (and snorkeled with the turtles in Akumal) and PM is by far much better, IMO.

9. DFDubb

DFDubb Barracuda

When is this trip? The area beaches have been pummeled with seaweed for months/years? A non diving wife might not enjoy the brown smelly beaches that all of the resorts are fighting. I'd definitely look for something with a generous pool facility as everyone at the resort will be there.

10. carobinsoniv

carobinsoniv Manta Ray

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    For cenote diving and intro training, check out ProTec. They have a shop in Playa and one in Tulum. I have never used the one in Playa but I have some experience with the one in Tulum. I cannot say enough good things about them.

Have a great trip!