Riviera Maya resort recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The budget doesn’t allow for the real high end resorts but should be enough for something nice - between 250 and 500$ per night.

in mexico.....$500 per night for two people.....i would be living like a king

Wow. I've never heard of anyone complaining the water is too warm. Different strokes for different folks...

I used to rely and review on TA a fair amount until I felt they were getting too big for their britches. It felt like I couldn't trust more than half the reviews (written by someone over a year ago with only one post - for example). This video cemented my dislike for TA.

Point taken regarding TA reviews. If we do not see any current reviews we generally do not waste any more time on a particular property. And when there are multiple reviews, we take triage them like figure skating scores - drop the high and low scores and assess those in the middle for consistency.

My girlfriend and are still looking at options on where to stay in the Riviera Maya but slowly I’m getting burned out by reading all the bad TripAdvisor reports.

For the first part of the trip we’ve got our rooms booked but we’re still looking for somewhere to spend 6 day in the Riviera Maya at the end of June.

I’m a diver but my girlfriend isn’t so we’re looking for a nice resort...

We’re looking for:
-All inclusive
-Good food & drinks (I know that’s difficult to get with AI)
-Quiet (no need for DJs to entertain me all day & night ) - adults only preferred
-Nice beach & sea
-ability to “escape” the resort for day trips
-A good dive shop either in the resort or willing to pick up from there, good dive spots in a reasonable distance

What are your recommendations?
Desire.

in mexico.....$500 per night for two people.....i would be living like a king

Upper limit - icluding a non-diver - the really nice resorts were in the four figure range per night...

Just happy i didn't look that one up while at work :wink:

In the end we decided on TRS Yucatan, several days and Mexico City and then the Paradisus La Perla.
Any dive center recommendations? Preferrably one that does pick up and would be able to cover both resorts? Mostly intereste in some cavern dives in Cenotes (maybe do an intro to cave class) and some reef diving?
Would be great if it was the same dive shop so my gear could remain there while we're in CDMX...

Check out the Valintin Imperial Maya. Quiet, no kids, very good food. Probably the biggest pool in Riviera Maya.

I think the Riu resorts in Playa give good value for the cost. They do a good job at everything, including the food. They are not top of the line, but nor are their prices.

If you are looking for an adult only resort, you might take a look at the Couples resort chain in Jamaica for a future trip. My wife and I are big fans and the food is the best we've ever had at any resort. High end restaurant grade.

I typically spent around 6 weeks a year cave diving in the area, usually stay in Puerto Aventuras. Have tried B&B's, apt rentals as well as all inclusives. My most recent trip I spent a week in an apt at Zero Gravity, awesome!!!! the second week at Dreams Puerto Aventuras this is my 5th stay there, my 1st 4 were fine this past one was a nightmare. Food quality has gone major downhill, BIG TIME , the beach is a joke I did not get an ocean swim in all week the seaweed washing in is out of control. I could go on about lost luggage and travel reps who just did not GAF. Still trying to recoup costs re the lost luggage etc would STRONGLY advise against staying at Dreams PA. The only thing they have going for them is the unlimited beer!!!

Wow - from Akumal to Mexico City and back to Playa del Carmen. Does that mean you will be going to Cancun airport from Akumal and flying to Mexico City and then back to Cancun for the last few days in PDC? Nice trip and a lot of traveling!

If you had not decided, I would have echoed someone else's post about Puerto Morelos (between PDC and Cancun) for the diving as they are in a protected marine park. Have only dived in PDC and PM along the Riviera Mayan coast (and snorkeled with the turtles in Akumal) and PM is by far much better, IMO.

When is this trip? The area beaches have been pummeled with seaweed for months/years? A non diving wife might not enjoy the brown smelly beaches that all of the resorts are fighting. I'd definitely look for something with a generous pool facility as everyone at the resort will be there.

For cenote diving and intro training, check out ProTec. They have a shop in Playa and one in Tulum. I have never used the one in Playa but I have some experience with the one in Tulum. I cannot say enough good things about them.

Have a great trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom