Riviera Maya, Mexico - Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robbiebubbles

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm traveling to Riviera Maya, Mexico in October [2017] and was hoping people could recommend dive sites/shops in the area.

I haven't been diving long and don't have that much experience, so I'm not looking for tech. orientated or challenging sites; just something where I can relax and gain a bit of a experience.

Thanks in advance for any replies, advice etc.

I was looking at going there this winter. Made a couple inquiries, found out that unless you use the dive shop on the resort taxis are extremely expensive. We were looking at the Ocean Maya Royal and had mixed feeling on the info I could find in the dive shop. Think it was called Diveit Mexico. We ended up changing our mind and went elsewhere.

I was looking at going there this winter. Made a couple inquiries, found out that unless you use the dive shop on the resort taxis are extremely expensive. We were looking at the Ocean Maya Royal and had mixed feeling on the info I could find in the dive shop. Think it was called Diveit Mexico. We ended up changing our mind and went elsewhere.
Thanks for the advice.

Multiple threads on here on this topic. I'd highly recommend Puerto Aventuras as a destination (couple of AI's to choose from) and Dive Aventuras as a dive shop (one of the most professional shops I have ever dove with, and can do anything from Discover Scuba to cenotes). I am not associated with them in any way, but strongly suggest you check with them about packages. You will not be disappointed.

I dove with Scuba Playa in Playa and thought they were top notch. My girlfriend did the Discover Scuba with them and had a great time.

If you are staying at a big resort in Riviera Maya they probably have daily trips to Mega/Walmart which may or may not be a short walk to Scuba Playa from where they drop you off. If you end up having to take a taxi I suggest you ask for the price up front. I was quoted $25 US and $350 MX. That's a little over $19 in US. My point is that it's usually cheaper to pay with pesos.

I seem to recall that it was $6 one way to take the shuttle from the resort but they didn't start running until after we were supposed to be on the boat.

I'm traveling to Riviera Maya, Mexico in October [2017] and was hoping people could recommend dive sites/shops in the area.

Where are you staying along the Riviera Maya? Any specific resort? The Riviera Maya is a long stretch from, basically, Cancun down to Tulum. That will narrow down suggestions you receive.

I have taken the collectivo a few times with full dive gear for $3us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom