Risk of Disease or Illness From Exotic disease while Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter69_56

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The only reason for this post is to make others aware of the risks of diving in foreign countries with exotic diseases or parasites and prevent an unnecessary death.

We decided to expand our diving skills and venture into technical diving after spending 2 weeks at Truk Lagoon. We found a local TDI instructor who would take us for Advanced Nitrox and Decompression diving. Paid our deposit however had to wait until he returned from a trip (I believe) to Philippines. He was at that time a picture of health for someone of about 65 in retirement and loving diving.

On his return from the Philippines we started the course however he complained of not feeling 100%. Over the period of the course over a few weeks his condition deteriorated. Although he managed to complete the courses for us he was clearly unwell. We then joined up for Extended Range course, however after seeing he was not well, we let him know we could wait until he was better. After a few days he messaged us advising that he was sufficiently unwell to be admitted to hospital although he felt his condition would improve after treatment. Within a few days of his last sms he had passed away.

Although the coroners report has not yet been completed, my understanding of his issue was that he had picked up a worm type parasite from the Philippines, whether from diving or from the water there in some fashion which had entered his blood stream. Normally (apparently) this is simply cured by taking antibiotics for a few weeks and all is well.

In his case, for reasons unknown he struggled on for some 4-8 weeks before making it to the hospital. In that time the parasites had multiplied to such a number, that apparently on application of the antibiotics to kill the parasites the dead parasites now make your blood toxic which has the potential for multiple significant organ damage, which (I believe) possibly caused his death as he was in apparently good health prior to the trip. Had he of not taken the antibiotics or not gone to the hospital I believe the parasites would have killed him anyway by their massive number increase over time.

As I said my reason for posting this is to warn other people of these risks and to be aware if you go overseas and come back not feeling well" GET TO A DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY AND TELL THEM WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN AND HOW YOU FEEL". Postponing or ignoring feeling unwell could increase your risk of severe illness or cause an unnecessary death. I was not aware of this risk and often go diving to overseas pacific countries where there are many sicknesses and parasites which can cause illnesses to foreigners. I was living in blissful ignorance. I am a person of similar attitude, I can see me now saying "probably just a tummy bug it will come good in a week or so". There but for the grace of god goes I.

Unfortunately at the cost of a good friend and great instructor, we perhaps have all learned a valuable lesson.

In his memory "You touched me and I have grown" You were a friend and a great instructor and you are missed dearly

As far as I know, salt water (=diving) is not much of an issue on the tropics. I am much more worried about fresh water and food.

I haven't heard about any human parasites living in the sea. No point, there are soo few warm-blooded critters with human-like guts - maybe dolphins. Evolution has yet to find a natural predator for the homo sapiens s(c)ubaquaticus (diver). Besides, entry to the human body is difficult: humans usually don't drink seawater and the body is (should be) protected by 1-3 mm neoprene because of the jellyfish.

On land however, there are plenty of diseases, ranging from hepatitis to malaria, dengue fewer, etc. not to mention food problems: peel it, fry it, cook it or forget it!

The following is my "opinion" only, but I think the diver in question was a guy who wouldn't give in, but also was concerned maybe his diving was at an end due to some health issue, and thus continued diving, not being able to let go. His life was diving. Sadly stopping for a few weeks and getting medical assistance may have been all that was needed. I wonder if I would be strong enough and sensible enough to stop diving, as I also am passionate about it.

perhaps a medical person might be able to shed some light on what type of parasite it might have ben and where it came from and the infection process. I agree maybe it was from the food.

I lived in the Philippines for 11 years and I never heard of a worm like that. And I haven't heard of antibiotics curing worms.

I did however pick up a cholera type bug twice there. Once we had to dig my friend's 4x4 out of the sand on the beach and in the process, my hand came in contact with what smelled like human feces. I was really sick and if I hadn't gone and gotten an IV and antibiotics.....maybe I would have cashed it in. Not sure.
But I had severe diarrhea and vomiting. Both times.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I've returned from trips on a couple of occasions with some weird skin reactions. One was diagnosed as a virus. Eventually the rash went away but not before all the skin peeled off of the palms of my hands and soles of feet. Don't even want to talk about the most recent eruption. Icky. I. Did also return from a trip that saw me in ICU for period of time. My sinus and my lungs were completely filled with fluid and near as I could tell my own body was drowning me. The doctors were fortunately able to save me but without ever finding the cause. I've had some food poisoning or norovirus type episodes when I've been at certain destinations. Well maybe this is all TMI. The point I'm trying to make is that its not just parasites we need to watch out for. Get all your shots including hep A&B. Be prepared to treat yourself for minor illnesses but always be prepared to see a doctor and not just try to tough it out. "Let's be careful out there people."

Well hopefully the coroners report might shed some light on it. Whatever he had slowly attacked his system and in the end shut down all his organs causing I believe massive heart attack to a normally healthy heart. Whatever it was, the point being, "Get Something Done Urgently You Realise Something Is Wrong", dont just leave it to "She Will BE Right Mate".

Most likely a filarial worm infection. Common throughout the tropics, spread from mosquito bites. Most likely because they are the most common. Use your repellant in any mosquito area. It has been a WHO issue for years. Cheers

R/O PAM (Primary Amoebic Meningoencephalitis), although extremely rare cases.
The first symptoms of primary amoebic meningoencephalitis appear one to seven days after infection, including headache, fever, nausea, vomiting and a stiff neck, according to the CDC.
"Later symptoms include confusion, lack of attention to people and surroundings, loss of balance, seizures and hallucinations," the agency website says. "After the start of symptoms, the disease progresses rapidly and usually causes death within one to 12 days."
Here are some tips from the CDC to help lower the risk of infection:
• Avoid swimming in freshwater when the water temperature is high and the water level is low.
• Hold your nose shut or use nose clips.
• Avoid stirring up the sediment while wading in shallow, warm freshwater areas.
• If you are irrigating, flushing or rinsing your sinuses (for example, by using a neti pot), use water that has been distilled or sterilized.

Florida issues warning about rare, brain-eating amoeba - CNN.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom