Rising Tide Against Drilling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea Save Foundation

Contributor
Reaction score
A swelling coalition of East Coast businesses, governors, and legislators from both parties hope to halt a Trump administration plan to open the Atlantic coast to oil and gas exploration. In a recent letter to Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, they argued that $95 billion in economic activity and 1.4 million jobs depend on a healthy coastline, including hotels, restaurants and recreational and commercial fishing. They join the voices of environmentalists, who have long opposed seismic testing and drilling due to its negative impact on marine life.

Read more here (story #5).

deepwater-horizon-fire.jpg

They join the voices of environmentalists, who have long opposed seismic testing and drilling due to its negative impact on marine life.

While an emissions argument could be made here, negative impact on marine life is one that doesn't hold a lot of water. Even the BP spill was largely isolated and cleaned up after just three years.

From the NY Times about California rigs, and the same is true of Gulf rigs.

Marine Life Thrives in Unlikely Place: Offshore Oil Rigs

“They are more productive than coral reefs, more productive than estuaries,” said Milton Love, a professor of marine biology at the University of California Santa Barbara. “It just turns out by chance that platforms have a lot of animals that are growing really quickly.”

Dr. Love, who has published research on marine life at offshore drilling sites, said the location of these rigs — in marine-protected areas in a cold current that swoops down from British Columbia — have made them perfect habitats for fish and other sea life.

Scientists and divers have been aware of the abundant life here for years, but a 2014 paper that Dr. Love co-wrote, published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, confirmed what many experts had already suspected: that most of the life was actually created at the rig rather than having come from other parts of the ocean and settled around the massive concrete pylons.

“For some of these major economic species like the rockfishes, there’s no question that there are more of them out in Southern California waters because the platform is there,” Dr. Love said.

snip...

“I think it’s time for us to step outside the box and think creatively about the resources we have,” said Amber Jackson, an oceanographer and conservation biologist who co-founded Blue Latitudes with Emily Callahan, a marine scientist. “To lose these ecosystems just because they are on an oil platform structure, I feel, is shortsighted.”
In my opinion, more structure creates more marine life. The oil is going to be consumed because we don't have a reliable full scale alternative. Think outside the box and consider the tremendous positive impact this will have on marine life. Humans building the structures for reefs and still supplying their energy needs until a reliable alternative can be sourced.

I grew up fishing the MS/LA oil rigs in the gulf, great experiences that cemented my love of the ocean. Saw a giant manta ray breach, leatherback turtle and many other incredible sites around these rigs; fond memories.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom