"Ripping Current" definitions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BEM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
What is your opinion on what is a “ripping current” under the following conditions (please answer in knots):

50 – 80 feet depth;
boat dive – anchored;
little or no wind;
sunny warm day;
constant current (no surge);
river (vis at 50 feet 70 degrees); or
ocean (vis at 80 feet and 80 degrees).

1. river – bottom below 80 feet;
2. river - flat bottom;
3. river - with rocks and wrecks on bottom;
4. ocean – bottom below 80 feet;
5. ocean – flat bottom;
6. ocean – rocks/coral/wrecks on bottom.

There are many factors (not cosidered) that could make diving in a current dangerous (boat traffic, downwellings, diver experience and competence, buddied with a stranger, drift or anchored dive, shore or boat dive, your physical condition, …).

1 knot = 1.15 mph or 101 feet per minute or 20 inches per second.

Not quite sure i understand the question.

We routinely do drift dive in currents >3kts occasionally up to 5 and dont class it as dangerous.

I don't think the conditions have much to do with it... a strong current is a strong current.

It may not be very precise, but I generally consider current on the following subjective scale:

No current: When I stay still, I stay in the same spot.
Mild current: I can easily make headway against the current without much extra exertion.
Moderate current: I can easily remain stationary without much extra exertion, but making headway against it requires some work.
Strong current: I can remain stationary with exertion.
Ripping current: I have to be anchored in order to remain stationary.

One more to add:

"I cant stay stationary at all because what i grab comes with me" :)

When I'm holding on to the anchor line and turn my head to the side and the current pushes my mask over my ear.

Captain

"kite in the wind" would be a good visual of a diver on a line in a ripping current..... or when the mate pulls the anchor and 2 minutes later he looks like he's water skiing behind the boat.... thats ripping current

Why would anyone WANT to hang onto a line like a flag. delayed marker up, drift, relax :)/

String:
Why would anyone WANT to hang onto a line like a flag. delayed marker up, drift, relax.

Have done this on the Eagan Lane in Plymouth where my buddy and I had to come up off the line and we were pushed off the wreck by the current, no problems, not such a good idea on a dive like the Thistlegorm however :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom