RIP Sir Edmund Hillary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

almitywife

Vegemite Mod
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Sir Edmund Hillary Biography -- Academy of Achievement

On 29 May 1953 he and Sherpa mountaineer Tenzing Norgay became the first climbers known to have reached the summit of Mount Everest.

Born, July 20, 1919
Died, January 11, 2008

"Well George, we finally knocked the bastard off."
– Hillary's first words, to lifelong friend George Lowe, on returning from Everest's summit
hil0-037.jpg

Must admit that I didn't realize he was still alive either, but just heard them announce hhis passing as I pulled this up.

i blame new zealand... they've been keeping him locked up in chains all these years

cant trust those kiwis! :wink:

for me, when i heard of his death it made me sit back and think about what he/his team physically acomplished at a time where there was so little techno gadgets like we have today

plus to do it - to look up at the thing and say lets go

a explorer when today we seem to view life thru our screens, plasmas & laptops (thank god i have my diving)

plus to do it - to look up at the thing and say lets go
Thats how us Kiwis are brought up. We are a country settled by people looking outside the square (actually wanting to escape the square) and willing to take chances...all within the last 150-200 years.
The typical kiwi childhood was filled with barefoot adventures, exploration, swings from trees, dingies exploring the coastline, walking in the hills...
Sadly we are in danger of losing this spirit as kids flock to computers and playstations and our government allows our kids playgrounds, that is the staple of most kiwi childhood adventures, to be sold to wealthy overseas investors who arrive with a stronger foreign currency and build massive mansions or golf courses and prohibit people crossing their land...the dream kiwi childhood is fast disappearing.
Will we ever field another Edmund Hillary...?

..... (actually wanting to escape ........?

not a bad ideal but do they all have to show up in Bondi (or east auckland as its affectionately known as to some ??? :D

:drunks: heres looking at ya & Mr Hilliary Azza

Rest in Peace! What a pioneer. It took some stones to look at that Mt. and think, "I'm gonna climb to the top of that sucka"

RIP, Sir Ed. :(

Azza:
Will we ever field another Edmund Hillary...?

Not likely. There aren't many summits left to conquer.

Back
Top Bottom