RIP Kodachrome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warmwater Wank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ah tis a sad day indeed. Eastman Kodak announced the end of production for Kodachrome film; the most recent manufacturing run will be it's last. 74 years on the market, K'chrome was a favorite way back when photographers loaded film in their cameras, not memory cards. My late father-in-law, who worked at Kodak, had some shots on Kodachrome of my wife as a baby, taken in 1948--and the skin tones still look spot on. And who hasn't sat through incredibly long, dull but colorful slide shows of family vacations shot on the stuff? (Hey, in fact if you still want to sit through some shows again...) Sigh. "Kodachrome we hardly knew ye." // ww

R.I.P. sadly...

Many of my Kodachrome slides taken 40 years ago with my Nikon F2 are fading. I love the camera and film, but after taking my F2 to Israel a few years ago and all the security people insisting (some rather nastily) that I put my camera and rolls of unexposed film through the security apparatus, I got back with all my film fogged. After that I bought and travel with a nice Canon digital (not SLR) and my Nikon sits sadly unused. I already miss film, but there are so many things that have changed - guess that comes with maturity.

It will be missed. There is nothing that compares to Kodachrome. N

I was a Velvia and Provia man anyway.

I miss film only because digital has opened the door to too many underwater photographers. It was a frustrating hobby in the film days, but at least I didn't have a boatful of other hacks in my way on a typical dive.

Was my favorite slide film for decades until I discovered Fujichrome... good color rendition and two stops faster! I still have about a dozen rolls of Fuji in my refrigerator from a decade ago... haven't shot slide film in years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom