Rinsing Mistake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After the pool, I rinse like crazy (usually twice) since the pool water eats everything.

OK let's debunk that myth right here......We have been running a five year experiment with one of our class trailers and gear. On board are jacket-style BCD's from Aeris, Sherwood, Sea Soft, Halcyon backplates & wings, aluminum & steel tanks. There are 24 BCD's in total. Also ther are 16 regulator setups, primarily Promate, with some Scubapro units also. Finally, there are a variety of full foot fins, masks, snorkels, weight belts, and hard & soft weights. The equipment is used in nothing but chlorinated pool envirnoments, typically five days a week. Over five years that makes 1,250 pool dives.

The equipment has been rinsed exactly zero times in the past five years.

The BCD's are as black & fresh looking as they were on day 1. Ditto on the reg's, hoses and gauges. Fins and masks show typical loss of silicone flexibility over time, as you would expect from five years of steady use. The only evidence of any effects of chlorine are 'browning' on a few pieces of webbing on the BCD's and backplates - I suspect a difference in the dye process since the rest of the same items are still black. Steel tanks look steel with typical powdery finish on the galvanized, and the aluminum tanks show some minor oxidation where the paint has been damaged.

While I will agree that wetsuit nylon colors will quickly fade with pool use, I cannot agree at all with the comment about "pool water eats everything".

The BCD's are as black & fresh looking as they were on day 1. Ditto on the reg's, hoses and gauges. Fins and masks show typical loss of silicone flexibility over time, as you would expect from five years of steady use. The only evidence of any effects of chlorine are 'browning' on a few pieces of webbing on the BCD's and backplates

I'm happy for you that your stuff doesn't fade, however your results do not apply to all equipment and all water conditions.

Terry

I'm happy for you that your stuff doesn't fade, however your results do not apply to all equipment and all water conditions.

Terry

Thanks for sharing that.

My point is just to help strip another one of the myths that instructors and divers have continued to "whisper down the valley" for years now, which ultimately have no positive effect on the sport or the education.

Our divers are comfortable now checking gear out before a dive trip in a pool, and our instructors use their own regular gear to teach, all knowing the pool water monster is not going to eat them

I don't use "dust caps" on any of my 1st stages. I use "Inlet Protectors" which effectively seal the inlet and allow me to SOAK my regs for hours to remove SW from the unprotected threaded areas that can not be cleaned by simply rinsing. I have tanks readily available but find the pressure to be unnecessary except for testing and drying after a good soak.

My eight grade teacher who had a voice like Kate Hepburn, "I try to teach you, but you just won't listen." Give up Awap and IVS, some people just won't listen.

couv

I think the group of narrow minded posters is much broader than you think couv and personally I think it includes most if not all posters here. So to claim to a select few that "some will never listen" actually includes them.

Just my 2 cents

Posted via Mobile Device

The good news is the pressure does not hurt. It does pretty much guarantee the seal and it keeps the elephants from flying away.

So you had the same dream as I did? I was conviced it was flying.

vision-fef.jpg

I think the group of narrow minded posters is much broader than you think couv and personally I think it includes most if not all posters here. So to claim to a select few that "some will never listen" actually includes them.

Just my 2 cents

Posted via Mobile Device

Gosh....not sure if that was an insult or not, but thanks for letting me join in on the thread. I hope someone gained something from what I shared.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom