rinse or not rinse bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtrain01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
this may be a silly question, Is it bad to not rinse a dive bag after you return from a dive? I know the salt is in the bag from the water after packing up from the dive. Is it harmful for the equipment if I store it in the bag without rinsing? Does it deteriorate the bag as well?

jtrain01:
this may be a silly question, Is it bad to not rinse a dive bag after you return from a dive? I know the salt is in the bag from the water after packing up from the dive. Is it harmful for the equipment if I store it in the bag without rinsing? Does it deteriorate the bag as well?

Salt in the bg will dissolve in any moisture introduced into the bag and get on your equipment. Salt water is corrosive. Salt crystals in fabric act as an abrasive and will wear out the fabric prematurely. Does that answer your question?

Sounds good to me. Anyone have any good tips on rinsing and drying equipment in the winter months??

I rinse anything and everything that comes in contact with salt water.

I used to rinse mine too, and now the pull handle and the wheels are rusting??

A salt water diver.
Shore dives all gear goes into a laundry basket = no bag.
Boat dives gear travels in a mesh bag, but gear is fresh water rinsed by crew after diving. Occasional mesh bag w/o rinse use or wet salty gear carried I soak it and just generally soak it occasionally.
Haven’t got a fancy bag for travel, but if I did I wouldn’t consider putting salty gear into it. I’ve seen it done I’ll admit and them rollers are pretty appealing, maybe they hose out the inside. I wouldn’t soak or immerse it. If I traveled I’d carry the mesh bag for the wet carrys.

Charlie99:
I rinse my divebag when I can no longer stand the smell. Up to that point, there's no reason to rinse it. :)

Most things that are growing in your dive bag are harmless, they are just happy eating all of your stuff, but there is a small chance you could get one that likes people as well -

Would suggest you do one of the following:

1. Make sure you are the only user of the equipment.

2. If you do loan something, put a hazardous label on it.

Definitely rinse it after diving in salt water. Personally, I just use an outdoor hose to rinse it and then let it hang over the porch railing for a few days. If it's raining, I hang it on hooks in my basement. Hanging it over the shower railing/doors is another option.

Back
Top Bottom