Ringing Ears - what to ask Doc to check

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Griffo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I was just holding a power supply that decided to explode in my hand when I turned it on
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ma...50-serious-fault-icon-hd-psu-please-read.html

My reason for posting here is that it was suggested that I really should get my ears checked before going diving tomorrow. I have fairly loud ringing in them post this event.

The problem is that i've found most doctors don't know squat about diving. So while i will definately go to a doctor to have my ears checked, is there anything specific that I need to ask them to check?

no, your issue shouldn't affect diving. It sounds like a bit of temporary tinnitus, like if you went to a rock concert. It'll probably clear up on it's own, but I certainly wouldn't expect it to impact your diving.

I'm not a doctor, so take this with a grain of salt.

I have permanent tinnitis from gunfire when I was young.
As long as you can clear your ears diving won't affect tinnitis either way.

I used to drive a "Poppin' Johnny" tractor with 2 cylinders, no muffler. My ears would ring all summer. I don't think I suffered long term damage, my hearing is par for my age I guess - for a former farmer, but clearing has never been a problem for me.

Diving is sometimes said to affect hearing, or so I have heard.

I would definitly go to the doc and ask him to check for a possible inner ear issue. I have had an inner ear issue for the last 7 months with persistant tinnitus in my left ear for the entire time. The doctors here have been unable to treat or tell me what it was from but it has definitely affected my quality of life. So get it checked out. This tinnitus is very distracting...........

Diving is sometimes said to affect hearing, or so I have heard.

Hey DonDonaldo,

Primarily in those who are commercial divers exposed to loud noses and divers who have experienced barotrauma of the ear.

The recreational diver who equalizes appropriately and sustains no ear injury does not appear to be at significant risk for SCUBA-related hearing loss or tinnitus.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hey DonDonaldo,

Primarily in those who are commercial divers exposed to loud noses and divers who have experienced barotrauma of the ear.

The recreational diver who equalizes appropriately and sustains no ear injury does not appear to be at significant risk for SCUBA-related hearing loss or tinnitus.

Regards,

DocVikingo
Great & thanks. They say one of the ways to spot a diver along with funny tan lines, worn out shocks on his car, big watch, trigger fish scars, and being an expert on antihistamines is that he says "huh?" a lot - but that could be those who don't get the water out of their ears.

So I can blame my hearing on my age and farm history. My brother brags on his hearing aid; I should get one maybe.

So I was just holding a power supply that decided to explode in my hand when I turned it on
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ma...50-serious-fault-icon-hd-psu-please-read.html

My reason for posting here is that it was suggested that I really should get my ears checked before going diving tomorrow. I have fairly loud ringing in them post this event.

The problem is that i've found most doctors don't know squat about diving. So while i will definately go to a doctor to have my ears checked, is there anything specific that I need to ask them to check?

Tinnitus is pretty poorly understood, and that's from personal experience having been treated for it (similar situation to ZKY, along with lots of air compressors and a particularly noisy diesel hydraulic pump). This is probably after the fact, i.e. you've likely already gone diving and/or had your question answered by your doc, but the danger of some kind of blast overpressurization injury that affected the physical structure of your ear is pretty minimal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom