Right or left-handed H-valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vioch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As far as I do ice and sometimes solo dives, decided to buy H-valve.
So right or left-handed H-valve is preferable and why? (right or left - face away from the valve opening)

I have already considered this valve - first stages hoses seemed to interfere with each other in stage's vertical position and unfortunatelly ICE version (I own Dive Rite RG1208ICE first stages) is very long to align regulators horizontally as shown on the picture bellow

singletankrouting1.jpg

If you use this valve with first stages aligned vertically, post a picture please.

What is center to center measurement between the valve's openings?

Last edited:
If you are buying H-valves for two tanks then I would consider one of each. That way if you are thinking about going to doubles at some point you only need to buy the crossbar to complete the set.

The downside of this is that when diving as singles, one of your valve handles is on the "wrong" side. This can occasionally confuse less experienced divemasters who are helpfully checking your air on before you jump off the boat. As a solo diver this may not be an issue for you.

Note that the concept of "left" and "right" on H-valves depends on who you are talking to. FOr example, Dive Rite and Thermo have opposite interpretations.

See the following link and scroll down to the bit about "do you know your right from your left?"

Thermo Valves

I have already read this DiveRiteExpress article about H-valves (but it didn't clarify to me which handed H-valve should I order) and in my first thread I specified "right or left - face away from the valve opening" to avoid confusions.

Thank you for 2 tanks suggestion, but I need H-valve for single tank. So is there any difference in usage between right and left-handed H-valves besides mentioned "wrong" side handle (and less experienced divemasters)?

If you are buying H-valves for two tanks then I would consider one of each. That way if you are thinking about going to doubles at some point you only need to buy the crossbar to complete the set.

The downside of this is that when diving as singles, one of your valve handles is on the "wrong" side. This can occasionally confuse less experienced divemasters who are helpfully checking your air on before you jump off the boat. As a solo diver this may not be an issue for you. . . .

I second this. I followed this logic with my first 2 H-valve tanks. You do have to watch the tank monkeys when you get fills as well. Some cannot grasp the on/off directions and think "turn back is on, turn forward is off".

I just removed my H-valves, as I mostly dive doubles. Interested in buying a pair of used valves?

theskull

I second this. I followed this logic with my first 2 H-valve tanks. You do have to watch the tank monkeys when you get fills as well. Some cannot grasp the on/off directions and think "turn back is on, turn forward is off".

I just removed my H-valves, as I mostly dive doubles. Interested in buying a pair of used valves?

theskull

So your recomendation is to use right-handed H-valve?

I own cylinder with european M25/2 threading (I'm from Russia), thus unfortunately not unterested in US valves.

You may want to consider this as an alternative.

Beaver Sports in the UK sells those but you can't get them in the US because it has no burst disk... Kind of a shame, actually.

If you are only buying one, then I would buy a "right" side h-valve (horizontal valve shaft points to your right as you face away from the tank). This would be a Thermo "right" or a Dive Rite "left". This puts the horizontal valve shaft on the normal side to reduce some confusion.

I think I attached a picture of what you want.

Thre is no performance difference and no appreciable hose routing advantage to one side or the other - in my view it is simply a human factors issue. Just one less thing for the divemaster or your buddy to mess up.

Attachments

• VA300HL_200_1-250.jpg
    VA300HL_200_1-250.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 401
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom