right ear situation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mickb999

Reaction score
Hi to all,

I seem to have a weird thing going on with my right ear.
I have had a middle ear barotrauma on my first dive (right ear). The doc told me to discontinue diving for al least 3 weeks until it clears by itself. No drug was given.

I dived again 3 weeks later and everything went fine on the morning dive. I used the Oceanic dry ear mask to ensure easy equalization. After lunch I noticed that my right ear was becoming clogged, but I was still able to inflate. I went ahead on the second dive and it was very hard to get down. It took me a very long time to equalize and I got a very minor barotrauma (redness in the eardrum) complicated by infection. The doc gave me antibiotics and tarivid.

As I practiced all equalisation techniques, I noticed that my left ET pops all the time in any condition. The right one however seems to be poping only 10 % of the time. I also create mucus from the right one after any dive. The left one is alway fine.
A tympogram exam showed the left ear at -15 anf the right one at -30.

Does this mean the left ET is smaller or narrower?
Could it come from the sinus? Why is the problem happening to the right ear only?

Thanks to anyone that can help

Regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom