Rig Trips... Advanced Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jstuart1

Contributor
Reaction score
I would like to know if diving the rigs is considered an Advanced dive like the Flower Gardens. I understand that the Gulf can change but does this make any diving in the Gulf an advanced dive? I am thinking about doing a rig trip because I don't feel ready for the Gardens yet so I really would appreciate your input.

Thanks
Judy

It all depends on which rigs and what you intend to do. I've been on several in the western gulf that weren't in the advanced category, and others in nearby areas that definitely were well beyond the general level of "advanced."

Where you have a hard reachable bottom and minimal currents rig diving is as easy as it gets. Just remember that cross memebers covered with barnacles HURT when a wave drives you into them. When approaching a rig 10' of water over you is your friend and stay off the surface any where near the perimiter of the rig! Where you have NO bottom (some LA and MS rigs are in places where the water "just gets thicker") or one well out of a diver's reach combined with multiple water layers with varying vis from 0 to 200' on the same dive and multiple current speeds and directions with each layer it gets advanced pretty quickly. Couple that with hunting or any other activity and it can get way beyond advanced in a BIG hurry. I've seen 7 distinct layers of water, all moving in different directions at speeds difficult for a diver to swim against, in a dive of under 120' with no hard bottom. The fish were huge though, and we brought up several.

Check with the charters in the area you intend to dive and see what conditions normally are. Remember you ALWAYS have "option 2" of staying on deck if conditions don't suit you, even if it means paying for the taxi ride just to go watch. I've made that choice several times. Never disregard the "little voice" telling you to stay aboard the boat, or on the beach for that matter. You may not know the reason it's nagging you, but IT does! Every time I've ignored it in the last 35 years of diving I found out why it was there before the dive was over!

In general you should have your ballast & buoyancy control down pretty well before hitting a rig, as the neat stuff is NOT on the bottom!

FT

FredT pretty much nailed this on on the head. Take his advise.

I have done some spearfishing on the Gulf Oil rigs and had pretty much the same varied experiences as FredT. We usually ran about 40-50miles offshore. The depth went well beyond what I am comfortable with (I dove to 115' and it was still going way down). The big thing to remember is that help is nowhere close. If you get into a problem things can go from bad to worse to really really bad in a hurry and there is a good chance that there is no close by to help.

On the other hand, if you are careful and stay within you limits, Rig diving is easy and a lot of fun. Most of the activity happens near the surface (0-60ft).

Like FredT said, never approach the rig at the surface. I always drop to about 20ft below the boat, (often on a tag line, depending upon the current) and then swim to the rig and approach it 20ft below the surface. This is especially important when the seas are rough (>4ft), cause you can get slammed into the rig really easily, and the water comes from odd directions at times.

Randy Cook

i can't help you too much with Rig Diving. But Rig Diving/Spearfishing is one of my main reasons to learn to Scuba. Since I can't go fishing this weekend I am going to Twin lakes or Blue Lagoon to get some more water time so I will feel comfortable in the water once the weather gets right to try my first rig dive.

The biggest problem with rig diving is the current, but as long as you keep the structure in sight at all times even if the current changes you can shift to the other side of the pipes you are swimming next to and shield your self from alot of the current. If you loose sight of the structure surface and get your bearings

Randy

Hmm sounds like I'll be putting off the rigs for a while yet. I don't spear fish for one and just want to have a good time. Looks like I'll keep my salt water dives to Cozumel and the like. Thanks for the imput.

jstuart1:
Hmm sounds like I'll be putting off the rigs for a while yet. I don't spear fish for one and just want to have a good time. Looks like I'll keep my salt water dives to Cozumel and the like. Thanks for the imput.

There is no reason to avoid the gulf it has almost everything that you will see in the Caribean you just need to be careful and pay attention to where you are. Diving with some experianced friends wouldn't hurt

Randy

jstuart1:

Hey Stu...

You've done your advanced. There is not too many reasons you would not be comfortable at the FG's. Boat motion? Heavy current? You're gonna possibly get these at the rigs. If you take one of the livaboards out of Freeport, I think you will be much more comfortable on the much larger platforms those vessels afford. Additionally, as larger diving platforms they are well equipped and experienced in handling emergencies some distance off shore. (Helicopter lift, etc...O2 and de-fibs.) Also, the boats periodically include rigs dives on their trips. +

I agree with FreeT...his assessment is correct. Since you do not hunt, and considering the problematics of rig diving, and your offshore experience level, I would suggest at least one trip to the FG's before rig dives. You will see a lot more!! But more important, keep doing the dives.

Regards,

Yes I have my AOW but I don't feel like an advanced diver. Heavy current is my biggest concern especially since this is not a drift dive. I did two dives in Belize on my last cruise which were non drift dives in a moderate current. I was fine but can really suck the air going against the current since I am not of an athletic build. After that dive I also realized that I don't trust myself to find the boat again if I am separated from the group. (Working on nav skills to get better) I don't dive Nitrox and had heard rumor that most people diving the gardens do. I would be alot more comfortable with the gardens if I had a dive buddy who had experienced the gardens before and would stay with me. In the carribbean it hasn't bothered me to dive with a rent-a-buddy because the divemaster led and we stayed pretty much in a group. At least that's how I felt until Belize.

jstuart1:
I don't dive Nitrox and had heard rumor that most people diving the gardens do. I would be alot more comfortable with the gardens if I had a dive buddy who had experienced the gardens before and would stay with me.

The gardens were built for Nitrox, but the vast majority of the divers dive air.

The buddy idea is a good one. There are a couple shops represented around here. Find out when one is going to the gardens and give it a shot. Go in late July or August.

TwoBit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom