Rig buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

_anak_pulau_

Registered
Reaction score
Hello divers!

I'm exploring ways of getting my rig less negatively buoyant when I purchase an aluminium Isotta TG5 case. I will be using it with an 2-handle aluminium tray, ONE Inon Z330 strobe and a small torch.

This idea from mikesdivecameras looks quite good. Any thoughts?
Screenshot_20240529_194809_Chrome.jpg

If you wouldn't mind sharing a couple of pics of your rig set up with foams/float arms etc, that would be grand! I primarily take macro shots so would like to keep the rig as compact as possible. Thanks in advance.

Sony a6700, Sony 90mm lens, SeaFrogs housing, Retra Pro strobes, Weefine adjustable floats plus a generic float arm as a crossbar. Clamps are ULCS, except the two Nitescuba ones on the tray handles - the extra length of a ball-on-a-stick allows the crossbar to clear the focus light mount.

1716987117464.png

I use two ULCS DB-BL08 arms with two Inon Mega M 650g arms with my Sea & Sea rig which gives me a slightly negative rig using the 60mm lens port with two Sea & Sea YSD3 strobes and a Sola light.

It is more negative with the Backscatter Ministrobe pictured below.

full

Shooting wide angle with a Tokina 10-17, I swap out the Inon M arms for Inon S -390g arms and I have a perfect neutral rig (no Sola light attached)

Still trying to figure out what to do with the 105mm port in place, still very negative and challenging to use at times in strong current.

I use the standard M rigging with two Nauticam floats and two Stix foam sets.

The NA6400 rigged thusly is nearly neutral with the WWL-1, neutral with the dome and macro ports and has perfect trim. I do not like the idea of using a float across the top between the handles, I tried that once and found it limited my access to the camera controls but everyone is different and it might work fine for them.

I have since replaced the Stix float arms with these with similar result:

I have used them now on two trips and maximum depth was 129 feet and they have not leaked. However, a friend had some on his rig and one did leak. I like them because they have a place to locate a clamp for my optical cables and they clean up better post dive and they look cool :wink:.

Single strobe, been there and done that :wink:.

Back
Top Bottom