Riffe Coco Mask fitting: Which is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g1138

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been interested in the Riffe Coco mask, but I'm reading conflicting descriptions on the Riffe Website.
The main mask page details it fitting medium to large faces, but the description on specific page for the Coco details it as well fitting for small faces.

Well Riffe, which one is it? Made for Small or Large faces? I've only one personal account of it fitting well for a guy with a wide face, but all the retailers say it's for small faces. This was on another scubaboard post a few years back.
I don't have any shop that carries it in stock, I fit most masks but I'm looking for one that doesn't sit so big on my face.

How does it compare to the Riffe Frameless in terms of skirt and lens size?

I am getting the Riffe Coco in amber. I tried it on today at Dolphin SCUBA Sacramento. I have a large face. The person next to me had a medium face with a small nose. He said it bothered his nose. I have a wide nose. It seemed like a good price at Dolphin, but anything Riffe or OMER, I first email Josh at Dive Addicts for a quote. Dolphin also has a good price on a 33" Teak competitor.

I like the Riffe Coco because it is a single lens. Seems to be low volume and has excellent optical quality.

---------- Post added May 7th, 2012 at 05:45 AM ----------

Well it is obvious that Riffe does not monitor their section.

I noticed that Gull is the actual manufacturer. It looks like Gull may customize for color and logo for Riffe. This is true for the popular Riffe Stable snorkel. I tried google Gull Coco. The price is cheaper for the Riffe Coco at Dolphin and the Riffe comes in amber which is great for contrast.

cmburch:

How do you like the masks with anti reflective optics? I tried a Seadive SL with Rayblocker and all it did was turn everything blue. I didn't see anything more clearly than I did with my old Dacor Pursuit SL mask. I do dive with the Riffe Frameless mask and it's by far the best mask I've owned. The skirt is super soft and form fitting. The field of vision is the best I've had of any mask and I've tried a few with strange lens designs.

As for the Stable Snorkle, I wouldn't recommend it for a large fellow with large lungs. It doesn't have the widest bore. It's on the limit for me and I'm only 5'5 at 130lbs so I'm certain my lung capacity is no where near someone that is 6'0 at 180lbs. I wish someone would sell a simple large bore snorkel with a simple bottom purge. These days, it's either plain wide bore (no bottom purge) or the bells and whistles (top & bottom purge). Needless to say, the top purge that prevents water from entering the bore, also limits the air that goes through as well.

C.

My family has been using SEADive TruVu Rayblockers for several years. I have the Eagleye SL and the Monarch. Medium volume masks. I was at Dolphin on Sunday for a freedive class and we were looking at low volume masks. The Coco seemed like the only single lens mask that is somewhat lower in volume. Strange how Riffe says for small face and Gull says for medium woman's face. I do not notice any blue from my TruVu RayBlockers. I was very impressed with the contrast and optical clarity of the amber Coco. I did not go outside to see how it would be for long surface swims.

I actually use a humongous large bore Aqua Lung Impulse 3 flex which is frowned upon for freediving. I tend to clench my teeth, so when spending several hours in the water freediving my jaw and gums can get sore from chewing on the mouthpiece. The Impulse comfo-bite mouthpiece eliminates this bad habit. There is no restriction from the Impulse top divertor. I like the flex because it is easy for me to spit out. No one has actually made fun of me in person. And I am surprised when other freedivers recognize me out on the water maybe due to my yellow top snorkel.

Thanks for the response cmburch. I pretty much gave up on the Riffe forum a while ago. My LDS is actually stocking Riffe masks now so I gave it a fitting try.
Don't have the funds to purchase this next on my wants list, but it fits pretty well.

Definitely not made specifically for small faces, but that doesn't rule it out. My first mask was actually Seadive's Eagle-eye mask (what a coincidence!); the Riffe Coco is bit smaller. The skirt doesn't protrude too far across your face, which is what I was looking for in a new mask. When I smile it doesn't curl over my lip either.
In comparison to the Riffe Frameless, the mask frame is a little smaller in circumference than the Frameless. Skirt is about the same if not narrower. Not sure how it does on volume though, I'm not too good at eyeballing those differences.

I would call it an average size mask, probably better for medium faces more so than small. But it is closer to the medium-small spectrum of masks that I've seen.
It's looks pretty low volume as well, but I'm sure others have it beat in that regard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom