Riding marine life

What is your opinion on large marine life interaction? Choose 1

• What is wrong with riding a whale shark, manta or turtle? They probably like it.

Votes: 21 9.8%
  • Touching is okay but riding? Nah.

Votes: 43 20.1%
  • Riding, even touching, is a definite no no.

Votes: 95 44.4%
  • Marine life molesters should be shot, then reported to the authorities.

Votes: 55 25.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to add a quick point - it is perfectly legal in this part of the world not only to touch turtles, but to kill them, take them home and eat them (endangered status notwithstanding).

I think playfully interacting with them is preferable. It might be a little bit alarming for them, but I don't see any liklihood of irreperable damage to the ecosystem.

Hey, sometimes I touch turtles.... I like turtles.

Attachments

• DSC_7423.jpg
    DSC_7423.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 87
I'll admit it ... I'm a tactile person. I like interacting with critters. I love taking pictures ... but I'm not entirely of the "take only pictures" mentality.

It's a matter of degree ... if you're going to interact with critters, you need to be able to do it in a way that doesn't stress the critter out. In other words, give it a chance to swim/crawl away of it doesn't want to interact.

Wolf eels, octopus, harbor seals, sea lions ... I've had all those critters choose to interact with me. I love it. No grabbing or holding ... if they choose to leave, they leave. Often they don't choose to. Crabs and other small critters ... if I pick them up it's with an open hand. If they choose to walk or jump off, then they can. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

Like most things diving, it really depends. In this case, it depends on how the critter chooses to respond. Don't stress 'em out. Give 'em a place to go if they choose to go. And above all else, know what you CAN touch before you decide to touch. Some critters, it's just better not to try.

I'll leave you with a video a friend of mine took recently ... she and her friends found a couple of octopus that decided to be ... interactive ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob says it pretty well.I also like the term critters. :)

I approach all critters,land and marine,with the same philosophy.
If I'm not familiar with it.....leave it be.It may bite,or sting,or be harmed by my ignorance.
If I know the critter and it wants to interact....Great...assuming I wish to as well.

About 25 yrs ago,before I started diving,I was lucky enough to have a large pod of dolphins (or porpoise?) come close to shore while I was out for a swim.A few of them stopped or slowed to check me out.I could hear and feel their clicks and chirps.Some of them brushed my finger tips when I stretched my arms.They made contact with me.If I could repeat this experience with scuba gear,I most certainly would not pass it up.

Sometimes critters like to interact and it can be a great experience for both parties.But as the "more intelligent" species,it is up to *us* to think before we act.Most other species just react instead.

I've gone bat **** on people riding turtles.

I know from experience that a turtle which is molested will learn to fear humans. We divers lose.

I was also told (don't know if it is true) that if an egg bearing female is molested, she will drop her eggs as a defense mechanism. If that is the case our grandchildren lose.

Leave 'em alone for Christ's sake.

Bob says it pretty well.I also like the term critters. :)

I approach all critters,land and marine,with the same philosophy.
If I'm not familiar with it.....leave it be.It may bite,or sting,or be harmed by my ignorance.
If I know the critter and it wants to interact....Great...assuming I wish to as well.

Sometimes critters like to interact and it can be a great experience for both parties.But as the "more intelligent" species,it is up to *us* to think before we act.Most other species just react instead.

Right on the mark, need that choice in the poll and I'll vote.

Always keep in mind the croc hunter Steve Irwin.
steveIrwin-734563.jpg

Bob
---------------------------------
Not pushing the envelope just poking at it on occasion.

Last edited:
I bring a cattle prod to make my rides more interesting.:wink:

I let the critters decide if they want to interact, except for the ones that I want to eat. If not, I just take pictures.

NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING, pisses me off more than reports of humans 'riding' marine life. In the case of sea turtles, for example, they have to come up to the surface every so often to breathe (frequency can depend on many factors, such as exertion). If a human tries to ride them, they're effectively preventing the animal from surfacing to breathe. Chances are very good that the animal will panic, and a panicked turtle's first reaction is to dive. The outcome could be fatal for the turtle.

I'm a volunteer Green sea turtle guardian at Laniakea Beach here on HI's North Shore, where turtles frequently haul out into the beach to sunbathe, or remain in the shallows while people are snorkelling. Despite frequently asking visitors to ALWAYS remain at least six feet from the turtles and to never cut off their access to the surface, my fellow guardians and I are frequently ignored. But we keep hoping that the message will get through, and sometimes, we're lucky enough to encounter very aware visitors, and/or visitors that want to understand why the critters needs space, and inundate us with questions. To the latter two categories: you rule. Thank you. You make hours spent on the beach an absolute joy.

I have worked with a wide variety of land critters, both bred in captivity and not, and handled untold numbers of fresh water turtles. I believe that in most cases I can tell when a critter is becoming distressed and therefore know when to proceed and when to back off. When to initiate contact and when to just be still and allow the critter's curiosity to bring it to me. I am not sure that everyone has the ability to tell the difference (ok I am actually very sure that many people do not have that ability) but I know from experience that I do.

I have, to date, not touched any critter while diving but I certainly will not rule out doing so in the future. Should I choose to do so, I would highly resent anyone undeservedly chastising me for my actions unless they had some kind of proof that I had caused the critter injury or distress.

I have seen a DM touch a turtle and in that instance the turtle appeared to hardly even be aware of the touching, let alone be distressed by it in any way. This turtle was one of several that approached us closely on that dive.

ROT for me----don't touch or ride anything that might leave you digitless......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom