Richie Kohler and Titanic's last secret

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeCeDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The last decenia, thechnical diving has really matured. Divers regulary visit respectable depths, 50 meters, 100 meters, some even down to 200 meters. But what about diving down to 1000 meters, 2000 meters,

Here is our Eurotek interview with Richie Kohler about the Titanic's last secret.

Richie Kohler

A technical wreck diver and shipwreck explorer, Richie Kohler is known worldwide for his work as a host of History Channels Deep Sea Detectives. He has always had a passion for researching shipwrecks and locating lost vessels. Identifying the German U-boat, the U869, launched his career into the making of documentary films.

Richie Kohler's name is also intimately linked with the Ship of Dreams, Titanic. In 2005, he and his buddy John Chatterton, organised an expedition to Titanic, trying to solve the mystery of its sinking. When they left the harbour of Newfoundland on board of the Keldysh, they risked losing their home and their reputation should no evidence be found. With only a small window of a few days of diving the MIR submersibles, the drama of the expedition unfolded after the first dive.

The ribbons of steel, their clue to discover the reason of sinking proved to be a red herring. Cornered, and with their reason of being there gone up in thin air, they started looking for other evidence that would lead to the how and why Titanic sank. This story is documented by Brad Matsen, the author of the book "Titanic's last secrets".

A direct link to all Eurotek interviews: Submerge Productions > Movies > Interviews

enjoy,

Peter

I think I paid about $20 to touch the hull of Titanic. Pretty awesome and pleased to do it on air.

Awesome. I think I traded a guy an old "Archie and Jughead" comic book and half a candy bar, but 20 bucks is a pretty good deal, too. I also did it on air, but I had to hold my breath. :D

Awesome. I think I traded a guy an old "Archie and Jughead" comic book and half a candy bar, but 20 bucks is a pretty good deal, too. I also did it on air, but I had to hold my breath. :D

I admit I did have to lean over the velvet ropes a bit but the security guard did not catch me.

Kohler and Chatterton seem to embody the explorers ethos that was far more common in the 19th and 20th century. Their willingness to gamble impresses me.

Back
Top Bottom