Richelieu Rock - beginning or end season?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dor1813

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am struggling with the decision to dive Rich Rock + Koh Bon + Koh Tachai during early November (beginning of season) or March/April.

After searching and finding the LOB (probably Manta Queen I), will someone advise if it is an "ok" time to dive Rich Rock. Will swells be bad enough for the boat to detour to Koh Tachai instead at this time of the year?

How about the chances of mantas and whale sharks during this period?

Early November bigger chance of not being able to reach Richelieu Rock, and nearly no chance of manta's/whalesharks. Quite often better visibility though.[/QUO

Thanks. Which month do you advise?

Early November bigger chance of not being able to reach Richelieu Rock, and nearly no chance of manta's/whalesharks. Quite often better visibility though.

Thanks. Which month do you advise?
That would depend on what you want and when possible. Both are good months with their pros and cons. Forgot earlier, March and April can be hot, November is (or better feels) a lot cooler.

So it's almost not possible to reach Rich Rock during early season? I was there in January this year and did not make it due to the swells too. What about late season - March/April?

Hot or cold is not a concern in any ways having dive in the tropics and Crystal bay (Bali).

Wait, that is not what I said or implicated. Also early in the season normally you'll be able to reach Richelieu Rock.

Thanks for the assurance and sorry for any miscommunicati

The boats will generally try to get to Richelieu Rock throughout the season. But in my experience, not being able to get there because of rough seas happens somewhat more often earlier in the season than later in the season. If it were me, and I could choose between November and March, I'd choose March, no question about it.

Thanks Quero ... i've got the best advice ever!

I have found over the years that occasional trips can't get to Richelieu Rock early season, but not very often. Visibility is better in early season, calmest weather tends to be February - March. April is an odd month when weather can change, though normally the southwest monsoon does not start until into May, I recall mid April on my first year here (2000) we had bad weather by mid April. Seems to me that the "low" season starts later more often now. Early season rough seas are sometimes caused by strong northeast winds as the season switches. It's not often *too* rough though, but to be safer, best to think of Feb - March. ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom