Richard Hartley, aka The Commander. RIP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mdejong

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Richard Hartley, aka the Commander, was found today in his own home. He passed away from natural causes. Richard was one of the most amazing people in the dive industry, and will be missed by many, many divers.

"Here's to us. Them like us, and those who want to be like us" The Commander.

"Commander" started a LOT of people down the road of a career in diving. He was a course director and instructor trainer at various agencies including Pro Dive in Ft Lauderdale. He was a great diver and a great person. I am proud to say that I had the chance to learn from him and dive with him. This is sad news for the dive industry!

What a shame. I spoke to Richard a few weeks ago when I went down to Florida and he invited me on a dive trip. I had to regretfully pass as I was busy. He was the one who taught me in my IDC. He will be missed by many, many people. Rest in peace Commander!

My condolences to his family and friends. I was fortunate enough to study and work alongside Richard at Pro Dive, first for my staff instructor and then working on some IDCs. He will be missed greatly. Rest in peace commander.

I just found out about this last night and was shocked o say the least. I first met "the Commander" a little over two weeks ago. I did my IDC with him. He was one of those people you meet in life that leaves a big and lasting impression ( even though it cost me a few six packs!). I am glad to have known him for the short time i did and proud to have had him as my instructor. Gary

Richard will be greatly missed. When I attended my IDC at Pro Dive in 1995, Richard was assisting as his first IDC as a CD at Pro Dive. My CDs were Rip Lawler, Nelson Moore, and Bill Cole, but Richard was learning the Pro Dive system and turned out to be very helpful for those of us in my IDC. He was a great instructor and a fantastic human being.

Commander was the Course Director for my IDC at Pro Dive. He was a great instructor and leader. I was told he trained over 1300 instructors. I have thought of him often when I am instructing, he will live on through the many instructors out there that he trained. Richard Hartley, you will be missed by many.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom