Ribbon Reefs and north of Cairns--Cyclone Ita aftermath?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A couple of weeks ago I saw a documentary on some TV channel--probably the Smithsonian channel--that was originally intended to be a typical "this is what it is like on the reef and the nearby area" show. By coincidence, they were there and filming when the cyclone arrived, and that became a key part of the show. They were able to show the devastation on the land pretty well.

What was most interesting though, was the section in which they showed Google Earth filming the reef. Yes, seriously. They used divers pushing a really cool camera that took video in all directions, including up and down. The Google Earth people had been working on the reef just before the cyclone arrived, and they went back after it. The show included one before and after clip that showed MAJOR damage. It went from a beautiful, colorful reef system to a pile of white rubble. Of course, that was only one site, but it showed that the reef did sustain damage that will take a long time to recover.

Yes sites vary.

I heard RR 9-10 area got hit and the Lizard Island Research Station staff blogged about damage in sites there. So as this was a charter we chose not to go there. Lena Reef and Turtle Bay (near Tongue) had damaged areas, not sure when. I did not go in at Horseshoe Reef but my friends did and saw Crown of Thorns, very sad.

I am grateful I got to go one more time to see great beauty at GBR. It is just amazing and humbling.

Just an update for this as these posts were months ago. The Reef up there is coming back really well and the fish life is not affected at all. It does take time fro the coral to return, but its a healthy environment and Reef areas are used to cyclonic weathers. Its only really the top few meters that get affected. So things are looking good and anyone taking a Ribbon Reef trip now will not be disappointed in any way :)

Lizard Island resort is open for business again too.

Just a clarification...we snorkel so what is in the first few meters matters more :)
And the last trip I refer to where we went to RR2, RR3, Opal, Lena, Turtle Bay was September 2015 on a charter with 4 friends.

All best to the Australia forum! Not sure if I will be back to the GBR. It is a long trip, we are now in our mid sixties, and my husband is talking about going to places we have not yet seen, like Galapagos.

For me, I hope I never lose the memory of Opal this trip; RR#3 in 2015 but even better in March 2014 when it was so calm I could hover in place; and RR9, Escape Reef, and the giant green table coral at Lizard in March 2014.
Just dazzling. Memories for the rest of my life.

Aloha.

We are currently staying in Palm Cove and want to dive/snorkel out of Port Douglas. Has been windy our entire stay--and looks like that will continue. Wondering how that affects things on the reef. Captain of a river fishing boat my stepson was on told him not worth it to go diving on the reef. Is this accurate? Probably the only time we will be near the GBR and I think we should give it a shot at least two days. Thoughts?

We are currently staying in Palm Cove and want to dive/snorkel out of Port Douglas. Has been windy our entire stay--and looks like that will continue. Wondering how that affects things on the reef. Captain of a river fishing boat my stepson was on told him not worth it to go diving on the reef. Is this accurate? Probably the only time we will be near the GBR and I think we should give it a shot at least two days. Thoughts?

We had windy conditions in mid September when we took our charter. The snorkeling was absolutely worth it, so I imagine diving would be also. You can get a rough ride out/back but if thst is not a worry and the boats are going...well, I would. Opal is great. Wavelength goes there but is snorkel only; I think Calypso goes to Opal also. Silversonic goes to Agincourt. Look on TripAdvisor for more reviews.

Good luck with conditions and I hope you have a great time!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom