rEvo - O2 at more than 100 m ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And I believe the Optima reg puts out 80psi over ambient to not stress the solenoid.

And I believe the Optima reg puts out 80psi over ambient to not stress the solenoid.
That's because it's an eCCR.

The Revo, above 100m/330ft is a fine device that sits between an electronic eCCR and a manual mCCR, hence the term hybrid hCCR.

There's really nothing intrinsically wrong with a Revo regarding the way the orifice works. All manual CCRs will suffer the same problem unless using a needle valve variable output orifice; of course that requires more training and other habits.

Very very few people have dived below 100m/330ft. Most CCRs are built for the vast majority of CCR divers who do their entire diving career above that. Whilst it's nice to visit a wreck or other item of interest deeper than 100m/330ft, the cost is extreme amounts of time spent at decompression -- many multiples of the brief time spent at the bottom is spent shivering and bored at deco. 3 hours or more runtime for 20-odd minutes on the bottom; not everybody's cup of tea, especially when diving in cold water.

That's because it's an eCCR.

The Revo, above 100m/330ft is a fine device that sits between an electronic eCCR and a manual mCCR, hence the term hybrid hCCR.

There's really nothing intrinsically wrong with a Revo regarding the way the orifice works. All manual CCRs will suffer the same problem unless using a needle valve variable output orifice; of course that requires more training and other habits.

Very very few people have dived below 100m/330ft. Most CCRs are built for the vast majority of CCR divers who do their entire diving career above that. Whilst it's nice to visit a wreck or other item of interest deeper than 100m/330ft, the cost is extreme amounts of time spent at decompression -- many multiples of the brief time spent at the bottom is spent shivering and bored at deco. 3 hours or more runtime for 20-odd minutes on the bottom; not everybody's cup of tea, especially when diving in cold water.
Thanks for the education. Maybe you didn’t know but I probably have 2000 hours below 300’

I’ve also owned 4 Revos. And probably 15 Optimas, 5 Sidewinders, 2 Liberties.

I understand how this stuff works. My point is, why buy such a limited $14k piece of equipment when there are better, cheaper, more capable CCR on the market. ESPECIALLY if you’re going to negate one of Paul’s most prized tenants: The CMF Valve by modding the rEvo. I know Paul personally. He wouldn’t make this change himself, for sure!

Thanks for the education. Maybe you didn’t know but I probably have 2000 hours below 300’

I’ve also owned 4 Revos. And probably 15 Optimas, 5 Sidewinders, 2 Liberties.

I understand how this stuff works. My point is, why buy such a limited $14k piece of equipment when there are better, cheaper, more capable CCR on the market. ESPECIALLY if you’re going to negate one of Paul’s most prized tenants: The CMF Valve by modding the rEvo. I know Paul personally. He wouldn’t make this change himself, for sure!

A rEvo III with Petrel 3 and NERD 2 costs $8700 brand new. Not sure where this $14k is coming from. Additionally, what you refer to as "modding" are instructions for how to convert to pure eCCR and came directly from Paul (see below). The design is clearly meant to be flexible, so experienced divers can choose the operation which better suits them. There are pros and cons to each.

1662312118106.png

EDIT: Here's the source of the info, note that this is from 2010: http://www.revo-rebreathers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Understanding_Constant_Mass_Flow.pdf

A rEvo III with Petrel 3 and NERD 2 costs $8700 brand new. Not sure where this $14k is coming from. Additionally, what you refer to as "modding" are instructions for how to convert to pure eCCR and came directly from Paul (see below). The design is clearly meant to be flexible, so experienced divers can choose the operation which better suits them. There are pros and cons to each.

View attachment 741810
Interesting. I thought they were more when Sotis was trying to sell me one.

I can tell you first hand that bypassing the engineering of the rEvo is a direct 180 from what Paul used to teach. And he taught my rEvo class. I guess he can say whatever he wants now that he doesn’t own any liability in the unit since he sold to Mares.

View attachment 741810

EDIT: Here's the source of the info, note that this is from 2010: http://www.revo-rebreathers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Understanding_Constant_Mass_Flow.pdf
If memory serves, the HCCR wasn’t available in 2010.

My point is, why buy such a limited $14k piece of equipment when there are better, cheaper, more capable CCR on the market.

Hmm.... a pair of rEvos (with Inspos mounted on the side for bailout) on the way to 200m on the wreck of the HMAS Derwent , more than capable of doing the big dives that 99.999999% of rebreather divers will never do.

My rEvo came from the factory in 2018 (I opened the sealing tape myself) and it came with the CMF plug in a plastic bag. My instructor said to hold onto that so it can be dived deeper. To this day I still have that plug in the bag. Doubt I will ever get around to a 100m dive, but I know the rEvo was shipped from the factory with the parts it can be done. I'm calling that factory engineering done by Peter, not a modified unit.

Hmm.... a pair of rEvos (with Inspos mounted on the side for bailout) on the way to 200m on the wreck of the HMAS Derwent , more than capable of doing the big dives that 99.999999% of rebreather divers will never do.

What mods were done? Seriously interested. I know Sotis took Revos to 700’ but not sure what systems he negated by doing so. Yes, you can dive it deep, but not out of the box. Just buy the right rebreather for the job.

That’s my perspective. Doesn’t have to be yours.

My rEvo came from the factory in 2018 (I opened the sealing tape myself) and it came with the CMF plug in a plastic bag. My instructor said to hold onto that so it can be dived deeper. To this day I still have that plug in the bag. Doubt I will ever get around to a 100m dive, but I know the rEvo was shipped from the factory with the parts it can be done. I'm calling that factory engineering done by Peter, not a modified unit.
I’m going to guess I quit diving Revos by 2012. Mine did not come with the plug.

Back
Top Bottom