Revisiting diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’ve done very little diving in the past 15 years. Most of my gear I got around 2002. I have everything including BC octopus regulators tanks. Should I get rid of all this and get new stuff? Or is any of it salvageable?

I’ve done very little diving in the past 15 years. Most of my gear I got around 2002. I have everything including BC octopus regulators tanks. Should I get rid of all this and get new stuff? Or is any of it salvageable?
Depends on what you have. Depending on what it is, there might not be parts made anymore for the regulators, for example.

Detail what you have and other posters will let you know.

Since it appears none of it has been serviced in quite a while, I’d suggest you bundle it up and take it to your local dive shop for them to inspect.

Much of my gear, while used more recently than yours is at least that old or older.

As others said, depends on what you have. Old doesn't necessarily mean bad, but may be hard to get serviced. I dive regs from the 70s (Conshelf), but also maintain them myself. The BCD would be the biggest question to me... First thing I'd due is inflate it and see if it holds full overnight.
If the tanks were new when you bought them, then there's no risk of the old bad alloy aluminum. Just need to make sure they're in hydro (a required 5 year inspection/test) and visual (annual inspection). Look at the stampings on the shoulder of the tank. DOT3AL is aluminum, DOT3AA is steel. Either way, there should also be month/year stamps with little inspector number stamps in between the month and year. If the most recent is less than 5 years ago then they are within Hydro still.
Post pictures, and you'll get plenty of genuine advise here on options.

Respectfully,

James

You might want to ask around as well to see if your LDS is prepared to look for parts and has a good record for servicing older gear. But as @Marie13 suggests, post some info and you are likely to get some feedback including - in a perfect world - a referral to a shop/technician who services older gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom